Moment of Truth-My Fate Hangs In The Balance

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by Godsdrummer, Mar 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

Ok...so the ummm soon to be ex wife of mine and I owe like 3 grand to a collection agency. We came up with a payment arrangement to avoid having our mutual paychecks garnished.

She was supposed to pay me money every month that would go into my checking account. I was to keep my end of the bargain and also have an equal amount in the bank. Then, once a month the collection agency would do a EFT off the account. Essentially I was paying 1/2 and the wife was paying 1/2.

Well the wife is filing bk. And that is cool because it will eliminate a lot of this debt. However...she hasnt yet paid her Atty any money. And...tomorrow is the day they are supposed to take out from my checking account. And...my wife isnt going to give me the money now for her half.

So.....I called her attorney's office. Spoke with the assistant. Explained that this ia debt that will be covered under her BK and that it is in a mutual benefit for both parties in order to avoid garnishment.

However since this is coming out of my checking account TOMORROW, I need to know right away, if we should let the collection agency know that this debt is being covered by the BK, or if I should do a stop payment. Now since this is my wife's bk attorney, I really think she should be handling this.

However she called me and told me she was too busy to handle this and that I needed to.

So I called her attorney's office. Am waiting for a callback, but I am worried that they wont because I am not their client.

This sucks.

If the money comes out tomorrow, I am in big trouble.

2. mdmefontaine

mdmefontaine Antiquities Friend

wow . . rotten stuff. makes my tummy have a spin i HATE money issues.
    please let us all know how this turns out, ok?

and don't forget to lean on us...remember, people are more important than things and money. YOU are more important hon...xx

3. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

Ok so I heard back from her attorney and then I spoke with her. It was decided that we should just go ahead and file a mutual Chapter 13 BK. So I am going to be added into the mix.

I called the bill collector and she was cool. No money will be coming out of the bank account tomorrow.

Still it's really weird. One last thing to do together as husband and wife I suppose.

So fate swung it's pendulum into my favor for the moment. Who knows what the rest of the day holds?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.