Moms are embarrassing

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by ColdSummer, Mar 7, 2008.

1. ColdSummer

ColdSummer Well-Known Member

We had some relatives stay over and by relatives I mean people we see once every 10 years, so they barely know me. I hate people coming here as it is. But what makes it worse is that the whole time I feel stupid I turn into some mute. I get shy and just don't talk or just can't be bothered to. Then every 5 minutes mom comes out with things like "she will be one of those old women who lives ina house with a hundred cats, an old cat lady", or "she doesn't do anything", "she doesnt like being here" "she doesnt have a job". And on the topic of subjects I study at school, the course doesn't sound too special so before I can finish answering their question mom pushes in and says "psychology!" "thats what she studied" which isnt that correct..:rolleyes:. She is a total embarrassment! then they ask me questions like "oh I suppose you have lots of friends at school" or shit like that, I just say "yeah" then try and walk away. And because they don't know about my depression and such I can't just say I have no friends and I hate school because I have a mental illness and would rather kill myself now can I!? I hate her so much and I hate trying to have to impress people who mean nothing to me. I spent like 15 minutes standing in the hall way just because I didn't want to be sitting with them feeling all awkward. I really hate people :dry:
  2. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

Hi Coldsummer. Your mom was just trying to make conversation. When relatives come over, you are the hosts and you have to make them feeel welcome. I don't think your mom was trying to be mean or anything. I think she was only joking about you becoming an 'old cat lady.' Maybe talk to her about how these comments make you feel when you have a quiet moment?
  3. bleach

bleach Well-Known Member

Haha I know the feeling... the only good thing to remember is that those moments don't last long
  4. Lead Savior

Lead Savior Well-Known Member

My parents do exactly the same shit. When friends of theirs come over, they get an earful of how I am an unemployed 22 year old mooch, hah.
  5. bleach

bleach Well-Known Member

I think you are giving her mom too much credit. That's the sort of thing my mother does all the time as passive-aggression, she can try to pass it off as "joking" but ultimately they know what hurts us and what doesn't.
  6. A_pixie

A_pixie Well-Known Member

Mum's are so bloody embarrassing at times, they care WAY too much what guests think of them, I mean the guests are called GUESTS for a reason! They are the ones who should be trying to impress (If anyone) I mean I've generally got the "if you don't like it get out!" attitude. It doesn't make any sense to me why someone would invite someone in to their home if they are going to make them uncomfortable!

My Mum has this friend who makes insensitive remarks about the cuts on my arms and boy, did I blast her with the truth...that she's an idiotic old gossip who wouldn't know the basics of self-harm if it shot right up her fat arse! My Mum hasn't seen her since and has thanked me for getting rid of the town pest.

I'm not sure how irritating your relatives are but if they cause you offense you have a right to honesty.
  7. BioHomocide

BioHomocide Well-Known Member

Relatives are usually the worst people in the world. I see mine occasionally and I hate them, but I have to love them. I still haven't discovered how blood relation means you have to love someone.

Mom wise, Donna is a old nasty bitch with her good days and her bad days. She says stupid things, she hurts me, she makes me angry, but I could never stop loving her. My mother is the only person I love unconditionaly. She knows that I try my best, and when we are around other people she doesn't tell them anything I wouldn't tell them.