More ink, less scars :)

Discussion in 'Positive Feelings and Motivational Messages' started by Neverender, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Neverender

Neverender Active Member

Hi friends,

It's been a rough day for me but I just had a nice conversation with a friend, she and I both have history with cutting ourselves. We came to common ground on something cool, we both have turned to tattoos as our means of hiding all these old scars.

Any other ink lovers on here? I myself have been working on getting tattoos over all my prominent scars and it's wonderful for me. Instead of an unknowing person seeing my arms and asking what's wrong with my arms, they just see ink :)

It makes me happy to be able to put meaningful artwork over these old reminders of suffering. I will have to be one very heavily tattooed fellow before they're all concealed forever... But what a wonderful trade-off it is.

Anybody else doing this? If not, look into it. A talented artist is very good at helping you with this, and you'd be surprised how many artists have suffered the same curse and are passionate about helping you trade your scars for beautiful art. Next month I'll be starting a HUGE piece in dedication to my late grandmother which will cover what used to be my "frequent zone" on my right arm. Such a symbolic move for me personally- to cover my life pain with artwork in the name of one of the only people who ever truly loved me. I am thrilled, one of the rare excitements in my life!

Ink lovers, chime in :)

2. Frys

Frys Well-Known Member

I've actually thought about doing that. :eek:
  3. Neverender

Neverender Active Member

It's a strange type of therapy, but it's therapy!
  4. houseofcards

houseofcards Well-Known Member

I'm planning out my first tattoo for my nineteenth birthday (less than a month) and it's going to be covering up some of the scars in the place I'm putting it on. Hopefully it'll encourage me to get more if I like my first enough :)
  5. Neverender

Neverender Active Member

that's wonderful houseofcards, what tattoo were you planning?

my next one is a stone angel with her wings spanning around my right forearm, with my grandmother's initials at the feet and "i sit away in a secret place, in the shadow of wings. i think of you and my heart breaks open" as text wrapped around the angel. those are lyrics from Zao's most amazing song called "to think of you is to treasure an absent memory"
  6. lost81

lost81 Staff Alumni

As a wannabe Tattooist, I fully endorse this decision! Great stuff!

Try and take some pics if you can, would love to see. :)
  7. lord.nigel

lord.nigel Well-Known Member

totally cool. would like to see pics of the tattoos :)

id like to get some myself to cover some scars but am waiting them to lose their colour first
  8. houseofcards

I'm planning on a "jolly buddha" sitting in a lotus flower or something less original like which is "om mani padme hum" written in sanskrit or pali (i'm having a brainfart right now) or which is an om with a buddha inside of it. I have scars all over my body so the placement for the tattoos could virtually be anywhere.
  9. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

The tattoo ideas sound cool. :smile: I'd probably get a few tattoos if I wasn't such a chicken Kinda need to get over the fear of needles first.
  10. Neverender

Neverender Active Member

Witty_Sarcasm- I felt the same way before my first. Go talk to an experienced artist and he/she will agree with what I'm about to tell you. The needle pain is NOT anything like you would think it is. If you can tolerate being sunburnt then this is hardly a different feeling at all. I was terrified that tattooing would feel like exactly what it is- lightning fast needle stabs. The fact of the matter is that it does not feel like that at all. All I ever feel is the vibrations from the equipment and an irritation that I would most compare to clothing rubbing against dry sunburnt skin.

Suspend your fear long enough to get started. After 5 minutes you will smile and think of what I just told you, and you'll realize it's not bad at all. I promise you. In fact, you will find it to be so awesome of an experience that you will start planning your next one before that one is even finished. People literally get addicted to the feeling. I'm one of them!

My tips to first timers:
    -talk to the artist. These people are pros. They know you're scared and they will help you get through it.
    -take a friend along if you want, artists are usually 100% cool with this and they cheer you on :)
    -ask questions if you're nervous. You will find that all modern tattoo studios are as clean or cleaner than a hospital. They HAVE TO BE! (think about it... They don't have a safety net of malpractice insurance... They take ZERO chances with your safety!)
    -do not be too scared... You will laugh at your initial fears the second you realize what it feels like in real life.
    -eat a healthy meal and stay hydrated the day of your appointment. This helps, trust me.
    -stop psyching yourself out and go for it!
    -your artist is going to take GOOD care of you... TIP GENEROUSLY!

If you can't tell, I'm a fanatic about this stuff. If anybody wants to get more advice from someone who has been doing this a long time feel free to PM me.
  11. Neverender

Neverender Active Member

Also... The location of the tattoo will slightly change what it feels like. Start with a location like your bicep or the top of your forearm. Both of my wrists are now covered with ink (stars on the right wrist, a bird perched on my left) those get very tender after a while, so those may not be the best first location.

The top of my left forearm is almost completely covered, barely even felt a single thing. Both of my calves are partially covered... Almost fell asleep during those, no lie. Biceps? Same deal until i got to inner bicep work... That is tender too but bearable. If anyone has any specific questions feel free to ask.

I love talking about this shit, it makes me so positive!

DISCLAIMER- your co-workers may start viewing you as a hardass once your collection gets big :)
  12. lost81

lost81 Staff Alumni

And do not drink or take pain killers either before hand. Thins the blood and makes it a nightmare to work with.
  13. Descendant

Descendant Account Closed

I just posted in another thread about tattoos but I'm planning on getting an ink print of my dogs paw (he's a big dog) on the inside of my right forearm and an Ouroboros dragon on my calf. Pics of what I want below, if you guys want to help I'm trying to decide between the left or right paw print that I have.

- I want this in blue/green instead of red/black
  14. Neverender

Neverender Active Member

Lost81, great point that I overlooked. Indeed, no painkillers, no alcohol, etc. they increase bleeding and your artist will not be happy to deal with a noticeably more difficult canvas.

Descendant, the paw print idea is excellent. That gives me more ideas! ...ideas I can't afford :-/ lol!
  15. Neverender

Neverender Active Member

Let's take it a step further... Anyone have any meanings behind their ink?

My dragonfly is an homage to my favorite band, Coheed & Cambria.

My chest tattoo is for my child, who now only lives inside my heart. Hence the words, "within which a ghost resides"

Each star on my wrist is representative of each of my direct family members.

My nautilus shell is a tribute to my grandfather, an avid sailor and lover of the ocean.

The bird on my left wrist is for my grandmother on my dad's side, because one of her memorable sayings was to "live life as a songbird"

My next tattoo will be a stone angel, for my grandmother- wife of aforementioned sailor. When my sleeves are finished, the tribute tattoos to my grandparents will line up with one another as you look at my arms.

If ever I can do it without fear of employment difficulties, I'd like to get "love song" tattooed across my fingers in homage to The Cure. I stole that tattoo idea from Matt Skiba ^_^

I realize I am bombing this thread with posts, but thinking about ink is better than thinking about suicide, that's a trade I'll take any day.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2012
  16. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Thanks for the does make me feel a bit better. I've asked friends before what it's like, and some have said it depends on your pain tolerance. The sunburn analogy is good, sometimes I can't handle that though...haha. I'm not sure how good my pain tolerance is, I guess I won't know until I get the tattoo done. I'm usually scared of taking risks in life, but I think this would be a small risk compared to some of the other things I want to do. I still need to think of what I want to get and where, since it's a big decision.
  17. Neverender

Neverender Active Member

Indeed there is pain, but unlike other types of pain this leaves you with something awesome you will keep forever :)
  18. houseofcards

I just had a consultation with the tattoo artist and itll be around $760 total for what I want, and if I do a $100 deposit within the next few weeks i'll be able to get my 2 3 hour sessions done in October/November. This is a done deal for me :)
  19. The_Guard

The_Guard Well-Known Member

The meaning behind it is that there is hope in the cross because i am a christian

the next thing's i am getting are:: A sports bike on my left shoulder, above its gonna say Ride Fast and below it will say Die slow its a memorial for a few friends who died in a crash about 2 years ago.

then i also want to get something related to music, just not sure what yet.
  20. Neverender

Neverender Active Member

The Guard- The sports bike tattoo idea sounds wonderful and is now of heightened relevance to me as I am about to become a motorcyclist myself. Hoping to pick up a Ninja 250R in a month or so :) Sorry for your losses, bikers get lost way too frequently.

Cheers and best regards!