More suicides?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Ruby, Jan 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

Is it just me or are more and more people committing suicide? :unsure:
  2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

lol, yea just turn on the news and there's heath ledgers death and a suicide pact in wales where 7 people committed suicide all from the same town.
  3. BlackPegasus

BlackPegasus Well-Known Member

You would have to look at official government statistics. The media is not a good way to tell.
  4. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

HAHAHAHAH that's what I was referring to. Madness, absolute madness. I'm really sad and shocked about Heath Ledgers death :sad: I'm envious of the people who committed suicide though. I guess i'm envious because they've gone through with the 'act' and i'm still here failing like a fucking retard. I had planned an overdose for months and somehow managed to survive that (I was found unconscious and having seizures..). I'm tempted to go to beachyhead and throw myself off the highest cliff.

LILICHIPIE Well-Known Member

Suicide is first dying cause here on the 15-24 for 20 years
    before car crash
    300;000 ple committ suicide in France
    im the next one to take the bus
  6. Petal

lol yea i feel the same, im crazy with jealousy

haha lynn
    I wish not having the ticket to do so
    btw Ireland is a great country and so are the people there
    I loved going to howth and Galway
  8. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

9. Blackness

Blackness Guest

There are far more suicide than we ever hear of. all we hear about is stupid car accidnet and ppl who's houses get burnt down. the media is proof that suicide is still a taboo topic in this century. How sad.
  10. Petal

hey ruby, if you were referring to me , i was not being sarcastic, i wouldn't dream to be sarcastic on a suicide forum, take care hun :hug:
  11. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

Most suicides in the UK are not reported. The press complaints commission have introduced a rule about how they report suicides, it has been in force since 2006. It only gets reported if it is deemed to be of public interest.
  12. Petal

good point grahamd, its the same situation here in ireland, an estimated 1 in 3 suicides are reported as suicides, maybe thats the reason they are not doing enough to prevent it, shame really.
  13. Smashed__

Smashed__ Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2008

I dont know about UK, but in France; if you DO NOT leave a note; they rule it as accidental even tho if it looks an obvious suicide - how the hell can someone hung yourself or shoot you with a pill od lol

so its said here that 1 out of 3 suicide accidents is NOT reported
    However if they rule it as a suicide; the town has to report it in its paper and local papers
    Sooo families have as well to deal with some nauseous reports
    Which dont help seeing suicide as only related to mental illness
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2008

as we all know suicide is ONLY associated with mental illness or despair; something odd from the 1800
    I thought Id just vent because thats NOT fair
  16. rwillson

rwillson Well-Known Member

it seems to me, the media like to focus on a subject when it is brought to their attention by something or someone of substantial fame and fortune or unusual circumstance (mass suicide). suicide is all in the news here in the states when someone famous kills them self or OD's, maybe there happens to be a group of people who do it together. for the most part i think the media in U.S. doesn't give a damn, proof of that we hear more about a addicted pre-madonna singer who is going through a custody battle than the number of U.S. Iraq war veterans that are killing themselves. 17.3 soldiers per 100,000 troops - the highest level in 26 years of record-keeping...

people in the states don't give a damn, it just means less trash to throw away later and it doesn't go well along side a recap of the previous night's American Idol episode and their morning coffee...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.