More therapy issues :\

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Mama_Pills, Feb 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mama_Pills

Mama_Pills Well-Known Member

I'm getting really frustrated because my therapist keeps telling me that everything I feel is normal. I don't get it. Am I just exaggerating it in my head, and it's not really there?
  2. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Can you talk to your therapist and let him/her know how you are feeling? I am sure s/he is not meaning to negate your feelings or make you feel confused...bug hugs, J
  3. TBear

TBear Antiquities Friend

What I have realized is when my therapist says normal, he means: normal - considering all I have been through.... perhaps the normal feeling is too extreme or inappropriate for the situation, but there is an understandable reason underlying it that we just need to further explore; so it is normal considering the trigger it comes from, and then I am free to examine what it is I am thinking or feeling that possibly could be changed so that I can react normally in the present situation....

He is sometimes trying to calm me enough so that I can think about it and understand why - then I can decide whether or not I want to "keep" that reaction/feeling.... If I am busy labeling myself as "bad" - I am not learning and moving away from the behavior, when I start trying to figure out why it is normal, I can then begin to change.

That way I don't end up being the abnormal victim over and over again - I become the normal, healthy, but hurt, survivor.

For example - if I have a broken toe, I will flinch if someone steps near it, and scream if someone bumps it. That is perfectly normal behavior for someone with a broken toe - but abnormal behavior for anyone else.

Don't know if I am making sense or not....
  4. Mama_Pills

Mama_Pills Well-Known Member

TBear, you're definitely making sense, and I appreciate your input. It sort of puts things in perspective for me. Sometimes I still get frustrated that he tells me it's normal, because I don't feel normal at all. I will take this explanation into consideration though, when I feel frustrated.
  5. Bonifide C

Bonifide C Member

One of the many reason why I stop paying for therapy.

No I don't think you are exaggerating.

You should trust your own instinct than a therapist is my suggestion to you. You know yourself better than anyone else.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.