Morgan Tsvangirai Has Been Arrested!

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by TG123, Mar 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TG123

TG123 Well-Known Member

The leader of a peaceful opposition group challenging the brutal dictatorship of Robert Mugabe has been arrested yesterday. A prayer meeting he was taking part in was brutally broken up by riot police. He and other opposition leaders were arrested. After hearing about what happened, many people came out to protest this injustice and some did turn to violence and began throwing rocks. Peaceful protesters and those who were violent alike were severely beaten and one was shot dead.

Robert Mugabe's regime has brought greater hunger and poverty to millions of Zimbabweans. Zimbabwe is one of the poorest countries in the world. His security forces have tortured thousands of people and killed many, and displaced tens of thousands last year alone- destroying the homes of impoverished slum dwellers in an action called 'Operation Clean Up the Trash'. Detainees in the past have been beaten, burned with cigarettes, given electric shocks. Torture is routine, and many are tortured to death.

Please pray for his safety and the safety of other courageous Zimbabweans who have dared to challenge the injustice of this merciless regime. Amnesty International and other human rights groups will hopefully soon be organizing letter writing campaigns to campaign the Zimbabwean government to have him released, I will keep you updated.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070311...bRhbGLO1zAwtcA
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070312/...Mlkti8WDHAwtcA

Matthew 5:10
    Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Cristo Vive!
    - Tomasz

2. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Please, anyone with the time to spare, join Amnesty. I have belonged to Amnesty the last 20 years and they do so much good.
    If you only join in the letter writting campaigns you will be making a difference.

Am disgusted with our PM, when he gave his big speech about not tolerating dictatorships as he sent our trips in Iraq, I applauded and waited for something to be done about Mugabe; but of course there are no oil fields involved so nothing has beeen done to tackle this murdering swine!!!!!

3. TG123

TG123 Well-Known Member

Terry, it was so good to hear that you are a member of Amnesty and I agree you guys do a lot of good. Like you I hate our governments' hypocrisy and Mugabe's brutality. I was on the AI website though and have not seen anything on what happened to Tsvangirai, Shouldn't there be a letter writing campaign or something, at least on the 'Urgent Action' network??? I heard he has been beaten in custody, this looks really bad. Is there a letter writing campaign or something being organized? I wrote about this to their general office but I am not a member. Perhaps your words would carry some more weight. I hope something is done soon. I know it's not even been 24 hours but hopefully something can be done soon? I have an email list of Christians involved in social justice events and I sent them the news, but hopefully soon there will be some letter writing oppurtunities.

Thanks and God bless.

Cristo Vive!
    - Tomasz

4. Terry

Haven't received anything from Amnesty on the situation yet, but they will be sure to be on it TG, watch this space..will keep you updated as soon as I know what the next move will be.

5. TG123

TG123 Well-Known Member

Thank you so much, I really appreciate your help. Please feel free to email me at holyspiritrocks@hotmail.com . I will also look here in case, I'll be keeping my eyes on both so wherever you let me know I'll get it. In your experience with Amnesty, how long do you think it will take for this to come up? A few hours? Days?

Thank you again for everything.

Cristo Vive!
    - Tomasz

6. Terry

I have posted off an email to see whats going on.

7. TG123

TG123 Well-Known Member

Thanks so much. I won't be at my computer all day but will keep checking. Your'e doing a great and important job and I wish there were more people like you.

Cristo Vive!
    - Tomasz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.