mormons are racists?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

morning rush

I had seen this documentary of mormons families living in utah that had mentioned that the black people were the cursed ones and evil etc...and I was alarmed so I talked to my foster mom who's Jamaican and had recently become a mormon herself (with her three grand children) and she assured me it wasn't true...

well after visiting youtube, I realized that their mormon book does state pretty racist things about the blacks...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKqqGX0DEMM&feature=related

I dunno, just thought that it's pretty sad that my foster mom chose that religion when she's already paranoid about racism everywhere...just ironic...

ZombiePringle

Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend
Its probably along the same lines of the mormon group that still want to have multiple wives. I have known a lot of mormons and none of them have been racist. Its probably just a group of them that feel that way but does not represent the religion as a whole. and I'm not gonig to lie.. I have read quite a bit of the book of mormon and never saw anything racist in there.

I'm not a Mormon.. just for the record...

foolnomore

There was a time when any non white was not admitted to the mormon church. I am not sure when that rule changed but it did. A lot of their views are still racist so i am not sure how anyone that is either non racist or non white could feel comfortable joining them

lightbeam

Antiquities Friend
I used to be a Mormon. I left due to doctrinal differences.

Blacks were able to join at any time. However black men were not able to receive the priesthood.

But, due to the fact that they had an all white basketball team that wanted to compete on the national level, they changed it.

A 'revelation' was issued stating that blacks could hold the priesthood as a result. This was all done in 1978.

My exwife refers to blacks as 'n***ers'. She's a racist. It was one of the reasons we chose to part ways.

Zurkhardo

Like with any religion, most Mormons are probably displaying cognitive dissonance with respect to their now-overturned doctrine concerning non-white. Their founders were most certainly bigoted and sexist, however, and some pretty sketchy characters. But most Mormons don't seem to know or dwell on this much, and remain pretty decent folks.

lightbeam

Antiquities Friend
I forgot to mention, that in the Book of Mormon, the Lamanites (godless people) were cursed with a black skin. The Nephites (god fearing people) were obviously white. Those Lamanites that accepted the 'gospel' woke up the next day being white. In 4th Nephi, everyone is white, both Nephites and Lamanites.

So the Book of Mormon is indeed racist.

Last edited by a moderator:

Moat

Banned Member
Everyone is racist in on way or another, be it race, colour, someone one's nationality, culture achievements; it is a belief (or doctrine) of differences among the different peoples of the world that involves the idea of one's own race to be superior to that of someone else's and views that they have the right to rule over someone else.
So when someone says that they are not racist in any way - they're either lying out their arse or they are clueless about what the exact definition of the world 'rascism' means.

Axiom

Account Closed
Everyone is racist in on way or another, be it race, colour, someone one's nationality, culture achievements; it is a belief (or doctrine) of differences among the different peoples of the world that involves the idea of one's own race to be superior to that of someone else's and views that they have the right to rule over someone else.
So when someone says that they are not racist in any way - they're either lying out their arse or they are clueless about what the exact definition of the world 'rascism' means.
What? You can't be serious...

I hold no pre-judgement on people.
I am not a racist.
I find the above text insulting to my beliefs.
I am not lying.
I do not have a "arse" that talks.
Question is......................do you?

aoeu

I admit, I do have some instinctual racism... But my instincts also call for me to commit rape continually. Which I don't do.

Intellect > instinct, if you want it to be. I'm not racist in thought or action.

lightbeam

Antiquities Friend
I was a bigamist, and had two wives here in Utah. I held to the Mormon underpinnings as I persued another faith. I still have not settled on a faith, and I call myself agnostic-atheist. Moreso on the atheist part.

However, I am of the belief that the reason why I had two wives, and all that was because I was becoming more manic, as well as psychotic. My illness only got worse from there. I believed I was a prophet in the making, prophet, Christ then God.

Without medication I was a madman. With it, I feel... apart...? from the madness. However when I go off my medication, I start to lose it again.

But yeah, in the beginning, I felt like I was called of god to save my family. I was a convert to the LDS faith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00