Morning Depression

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by fam6236, Feb 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fam6236

fam6236 Member

If I could pinpoint my worse time of the day, I would say morning is by far the hardest part of my day. I wake up in the morning and depression hits me like a ton of bricks. I absolutely hate waking up in the morning, I just lay there and pray all my pain goes away. Its like it is debelitating, just doing any type of chores is almost impossible. Why is it that mornings are so bad? Can anyone answer me on this?
  2. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

Probably because you have to decide what to do for the day Fam whereas at night you are ready to sleep

3. HomerSimpson

HomerSimpson Well-Known Member

If you are like me as soon as I awake in the morning, withing a cpl mins my mind is slammed with negative depressing thought. I think, and pretty sure mine is coming from having to go to a job that I hate.
  4. fam6236

fam6236 Member

I had that problem also Homer. I thought that was a big contributing factor, but since I have been unemployed I am getting it pretty bad still. Maybe its having too much time on my hands??? I just do not know, but I do know that it is very severe and it scares the crap out of me when it hits. Maybe getting a job that is 3rd shift would help me. I could sleep all morning after work. Medications are not working.
  5. Hope1212

Hope1212 Member

Perhaps you could write down the things that are causing you to experience depression. (Try doing this at night).Try tackling the tasks that you know that you can do when you get up in the morning. If you include even the most mundane of things, you will see that you have a lot more check marks of things that you accomplished. This could help promote any positive feelings and perhaps keep the momentum going throughout the day.
  6. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

lately I've been having that problem, once I'm asleep I don't want to wake up. I get depressed. I guess it's because I'm not looking forward to the day...I'm not sure how to overcome that...I guess hurry with getting your brain occupied?
  7. anon12

anon12 New Member

your question resonates with me. i have struggled with this for almost thirty years. it is a long study. here are some things that have helped me along the way.

1) imagination
    i found that the end of my sleep is associated with heavy dreaming or an ability to imagine very easily. it is a time, that with gentle guidance (still in bed) that i can go someplace without pain. as i progress towards awakening, i leave this place of comfort behind. however, i see that the associations in my mind begin to race. my feelings are quite raw and easily provoked in this semi-sleep state. while in this half-state of waking, can i bring my imagination into play? can i gently guide the feelings to a more quiet place through some visualization? can i attempt to stop the associations completely - if only for thirty seconds? practice.

2) morning routine
    i mediate in the morning and perform simple calisthenics. this means i must awaken at 4:00am every morning. i know, difficult. however, it is possible. i struggled for years between which routine was most beneficial. you need both. find a yoga group, mediation group, etc. to help you with the passive external piece. the one hundred push up club is there for you in the externally active group; two hundred sit up club is part of it also.

3) go to bed early
    start going to bed earlier. try to keep a consistent regimen with this. after a three weeks you will have some momentum. take one day a week to sleep as long as you like. over time, your need for sleep will diminish.

if you take this on, you will see improvements quite soon. no magic cure though. you have to chip away at this problem every day. do not look for results. you might see a 'shadow' of a future self. think little of it. focus on the work at hand.

be good to yourself. don't judge your failures. they are experiments in changing. good luck
  8. Arun

Arun Well-Known Member

hi there fam6236,
    i speak from personal experience and what professionals have told me. I used to just think i wasn't a morning person (combined with depression...) but even just this week past in a session with my therapist she highlighted that mornings being harder is directly associated to how depression may manifest. i have learnt not to do anything too challenging in the morning, just drag myself out of bed, sit on the sofa for a bit with a hot drink and not talk to anyone. As the day goes on i find it easier to do more and more stuff. But the key thing is just to physically get your body out of bed.
    i agree with what anon12 said, be kind to yourself.
  9. HomerSimpson

HomerSimpson Well-Known Member

I was unemployed for at least a year and my depression was worse than than what it is now, but it is still pretty bad. Having too much time on your hands is not a good thing, because that is when the mind starts to think all those crazy depressing thoughts. Switching to a 3rd shift job I do not think would help much, because you are just switching your "morning" to a different time.
  10. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I can relate as I have the worst in terms of insomnia and a chronic disease. Life is tough but I have to cope with this vicious circle. I don't expect any sympathy as I have lived with it for a number of years. I always try to be happy as that is what life is about. Depression does not help but I have to learn to cope on the dawn of each day. Each day brings it's own challenge but we all have own problems. Homer follow the advice by anon12 and hopefully the routine should help you. Good luck on the job front.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.