Morrissey: 'Suicide is honourable'

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by J_Oli3, Nov 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J_Oli3

J_Oli3 Well-Known Member

Morrissey has reportedly revealed that he has contemplated suicide.

The former Smiths frontman explained that he has always been fascinated by the brevity of life and the inevitability of death.

Speaking in an interview for today's Radio 4 Desert Island Discs, the 50-year-old was asked if he had ever thought about taking his own life. "Yes I have, yes I have and I think self-destruction is honourable," Morrissey replied.

"I always thought it was. It's an act of great control and I understand people who do it."

Asked by Kirsty Young what luxury items he would take to his desert island, Morrissey said that he would either take a bag of sleeping bills or a bed to enable sleep.

"I would have to take the bed because going to bed is the highlight of everybody's day... we love to go to sleep. It's the brother of death," he said.

Not at all surprising. And I very much agree with the end quote.
  2. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

I know he is being honest and in my heart I agree with him BUT he is in a position of great influence and with that comes great responsibility. What he did not express is any concern for collateral damage with suicide or in his case all of the "copycats" and fans who are on the edge who would follow him if he does commit suicide.

I am a nobody but if I commit suicide I will destroy more than one loved one's life and that is not exactly honorable. Morrissey may very well have just given the green light to dozens of fans who are on the edge- his melancholy lyrics and persona attract troubled people. I am being a stick in the mud but this was terribly ill advised to do even though he was just being "refreshingly candid".
  3. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

Who cares what he thinks? What makes him such an expert on the subject? Ok he's a good singer, if he's got something to say about singing then I might listen, but I don't see why his views on suicide are better or worse than anyone elses views on this forum.
  4. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

Cant say I am surprised judging by the lyrics to many Smiths songs, songs which have great influence on me in times of depression, particularly "How soon is now"
  5. J_Oli3

J_Oli3 Well-Known Member

So you go and you stand on your own, and you leave on your own. Then you go home and you cry and you want to die.
  6. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

I am human and I need to be loved, just like everybody else does
  7. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

Classic Morrissey - You're the one for me, fatty, You're the one I really, really love.
  8. GabrielConroy

GabrielConroy Well-Known Member

Under some circumstances i can see suicide being honorable
  9. twc

twc Well-Known Member

I wonder, when Morrissey gets sad, does he go to his room and turn all the lights out and listen to himself?

10. Neverhappyalwayssad

Neverhappyalwayssad Well-Known Member

So because he has a huge following he shouldn't be allowed to have thoughts and if it ever does come up follow through on the act? I do understand the fear of creating copy cats, but it shouldn't stop people from saying or doing what they feel is nessacary.

Anyways just listenning to his lyrics, its pretty obvious he has suicidal tendencies/thoughts. Great musician.
  11. Scully

Scully Well-Known Member

To me, sucide is just another way to die. Honorable or not. We all end up "there", or nowhere.
  12. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

I don't think it's honourable at all. What I think is honourable is having suicidal feelings and not giving in to them.
  13. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

I love the Smiths and I love Morrissey, judgeing by his work can't say I am surprised he feels this way, but I have to agree with him, I think there is something honourable about ending your own life when the time is right.
  14. pit

pit Well-Known Member

It depends on what you prefer. Personally, I'm not deterred by someone saying, Suicide is a Permanent Solution to a Temporary Problem, or Life is Beautiful, or worse yet, How dare you think about killing yourself - are you sick?

Since misery loves company, I want my suicidal feelings complemented, not degradated. So I'll take all witticisms about suicide the way I take my martinis; shaken and stirred.
  15. bubblin girl

bubblin girl Well-Known Member

its soooooooo honourable to end your life when the time is right (& to keep your dignity)
  16. LetItGo

LetItGo Staff Alumni

His held that view for decades, 25, 30 years now. You have to keep in mind he needs to stay faithful to the Morrissey persona, the Morrissey brand, in order to sure up his popularity and keep the fans happy. Does anyone wanna see a happy go lucky Morrissey? Probably not. Man im a cynical bastard today arent I :p. I enjoyed that interview btw. Ive been a fan for many, many years. Personally, I fail to see the honour in suicide...What's honourable about killing yourself? Unless you've done something truly evil and decide to take yourself out. I might consider that the honourable thing to do. When our natural instinct is one of self preservation, then it certainly takes an element of courage and strength to take your own life, but arguably less than living with whatever has driven you to consider suicide an option in the first place.
  17. BioHomocide

BioHomocide Well-Known Member

Death is the only absolute.

We all die and whether suicide is right or not...suicide is just another way of dying.
  18. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

Yes but suicide is worse than natural death because it shows that you willingly chose to die, and that is sadder than dying naturally. It also leaves unanswered questions that will really confuse people and worsen the grief.

There's nothing grand or dignified about killing yourself, it's just giving in to circumstances, unless you were dying of cancer, were disabled or something similar, in that case it could be dignified.

That's my opinion at least.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2009
  19. Reki

Reki Well-Known Member

I can understand why suicide would be justified, it often is, but I have a hard time picturing a fifteen year old girl swinging from her fan because some kids were bullying her on facebook and associating the word honor with that.
  20. poisonedresistance

poisonedresistance Well-Known Member

My wrists dont look that honourable.

honourable is just someone's perception.

Those three words are a blanket term used by people who fail to understand the complexities of life.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.