Most of us here are HSP/Highly Sensitive Persons?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Dark, Jan 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark

Dark Active Member

I have been reading a lot of information about "HSP", highly sensitive people. Like the name suggests, it seems there are some people with very high sensitivity and it seems everything affects them overwhelmingly so... like loud noises, crowds, emotions etc. Biologically, I have read it can be explained by a sensitive immune system than most people.

I know you also have to factor in the circumstances and experiences someone has gone through and I'm not undermining that. But I feel like this innate trait of sensitivity would just amplify them. People like that just notice subtleties more and tend to be a lot more empathetic than most and most are introverts.

I definitely am one and I guess it brings a more enriching inner life.... a double-edged sword, something positive happens to you, you feel extremely cheerful and joyful, but something negative happens, you're left feeling extremely down and depressed. It's not a disorder and 15-20 % of the population have it. Maybe realising you have a higher sensitivity than others won't help with the situations or circumstances, but maybe it may help explain your feelings and emotions you go through. Personally, it gave me some slight relief, but I'm still learning about it. Maybe, this might help you a bit too.

For anyone interested about this:

and here's a test to see if you are one:
  2. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Not me, took the quiz. Did not score enough to be HSP

Interesting info.
  3. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I am a highly sensitive person but not all the time.Words can hurt me from the people I care about, strangers...I wouldn't give a hoot. I am not highly sensitive every day, if I am hyper or relax I am fine but naturally I can be quite sensitive lately I have gotten bit better and trying not to care as much, but I would agree that a good few people here have it.

Thanks for starting this great thread =)
  4. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I'm pretty sure that I am one, emotions hit me full force all of the time, whether they are good or bad. I don't know how to block it out. I'd rather not feel emotions at all, and trying to train myself to do that.
  5. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

oh yes iam very much so and its affects overwhelm me so much at times
  6. Aquarius123

Aquarius123 Well-Known Member

Astrologically, the Water signs of necessity are affected by high sensitivity. If you were born into one of them and are a highly sensitive person, I recommend the reading of my interpretation of the following Sun signs:

The same applies to the Moon signs, sometimes even more strongly than the Sun signs. If you can find out yours, by reading the relevant Sun sign interpretation, you may be able to find a better understanding of yourself and what your personal needs are.
    With love - Aquarius

7. querida

querida Well-Known Member

This is a really interesting theory.

I certainly think of myself as being quite sensitive and in tune with others.

I think all people can get feelings of depression though, whether they are highly sensitive or not.
  8. Cicada 3301

Cicada 3301 Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

I scored a 6, guess im not quite there
  9. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

I scored 21.
  10. Jabez

Jabez Well-Known Member

I score 24. I also score ++ ("much more than others") for sensory sensitivity and sensory avoidance on the adult sensory profile. Which means my central nervous system has a low threshold for arousal so I detect sensation really easily, and I tend to be easily overwhelmed by it as well. Research using the sensory profile has found strong correlations between + and ++ sensory profiles and mood disorders - but interestingly not just the sensitive profiles but also the low registration or "bystander" profile. So people who have a high threshold for arousal and are likely to not notice information from their environment are also at increased risk of depression and anxiety. A really interesting field of developing study. Thanks for this thread, as I was not aware of the work being done in psychology in this field. The sensory profile research is being donee mainly by occupational therapists and neuroscientists...
  11. poisonedresistance

poisonedresistance Well-Known Member

I scored very high,, strange that because its only sometimes, I seem to just turn everything off when its overwhelming and push everything to one side and just focus on one specific thing. then when I get back I find it difficult to recall everything, like ignoring it also stops me from taking any of it in. Makes it really hard to actually connect with things sometimes, impossible in others. thankyou for the info, really quiet helpful!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.