Mother gets 11 years for killing son (triggering)

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Petal, Aug 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I saw a post here in the soap box about it not being about politics or news articles, I keep up with the news and am gonna share this story and my opinion.

Here is the link http://news.sky.com/story/1324326/mikaeel-kulars-mother-jailed-for-his-killing

I think her sentence received is a disgraceful sentence, this woman sparked a massive search for her son for some time by volunteers, police etc.. she murdered him and dumped his body in a field/woods? She had physically abused him until his death, she treated him differently than the other children.

Where is the justice for this innocent little boy(also he was so beautiful, how could someone be so cruel :( ), she will be out before 11 years, good behaviour and all that crap. She took a life and should serve a life sentence meaning life. Had she does this in the U.S she would most likely be on death row. IMO.

Thoughts? Justice, where is it?!

2. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

Death row would largely depend a) on where in the US and b) on proving that she intended to kill him - which it was agreed by the courts that she did not. Obviously what she did was terrible and very very sad. Not having access to her mental health records or any of the evidence beyond that very short news story, I would not like to say what sentence I think would be justified here. I think it is all too easy for people without access to all the relevant information to be outraged about whatever sentence is handed down. The fact that she had been searching the internet to understand her anger issues, lack of connection with her son and her feelings toward him suggests that as much as anything she needed help she was unable to get - and the result was something unforgivably awful for her son.

My thoughts are that armchair sentencing based on thin new reports from a media whose main aim is to sensationalise help nobody and should not be engaged in. It is incredibly sad and eleven years in jail says nothing to the lifetime she will spend paying for it in many other ways.

3. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Very true. I do not always agree with the death sentence but in some cases it is warranted. In this case however I have no idea what her mental health issues are or anger problems are so I personally cannot make a judgement. There was not enough information in the news article. I really only started this thread because I was thrown aback by the lenient sentence and wanted to get the soap box going for news articles etc.. :)

Fair points you made Freya.

4. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

It was 1994 the UK signed away the return of capital punishment, pretty much on the reasoning if it is proved, after the sentence being carried out, the accused was innocent after all, there is no chance of acquittal whatsoever

I wont go into the specifics of this case or capital punishment (the why's & therefores) in general as much as I would like to, as I have broached this subject before, only to recieve warnings from Admins/Mods, as I have quite strong views on a lot of things. Call me Mr Angry from Christchurch, just like the guy you often see writing to newspapers

But just a quick point on this case: The eleven years will most probably not be the sentence she serves as she will be up for parole around half way through her sentence. Whether she is granted parole or not is an entirely different issue. She would have to convince the parole board she is remorseful and have participated in courses to address her offending behaviour. I'll leave it there.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.