Move out to improve my situation?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by scareddude, Jul 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scareddude

scareddude Well-Known Member

Is it better to live in a house worth about £400,000 in a decent area with parents who hate you, or to claim housing benefit and get a place to stay away from my parents?

My mum called me a disappointment and an embarrassment earlier this week, and is hardly speaking to me, and I want to move out. I can't help being this way. I'm going to keep trying to get onto my feet with a job etc, but I'd rather do it away from my parents, with only social worker input. I don't really have friends or a partner.
  2. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Probably best to be away from your parents if they are bringing you down more. I'm in a similar situation, stuck with family who hates me, but can't really afford to move out. But it's worth a try if it means that your situation will improve.
  3. Perfect Melancholy

Perfect Melancholy SF Friend

Probably best contacting your local council finding out your options, issues at the moment in getting housing whilst on benefits is that you may end up in a bedsit in a shitty area. Contact your local housing department at your local council to get help you will have to prove you have a local connection to the area (normally something with your address on, bank statement).

My advice before you contact them, get the doctors to write a letter confirming any mental health issues affecting you and how your home life is impacting on this, this will prove you have a disability as from a legal stand point any mental health issues in England and Wales are considered a disability and as you can prove a local connection (you have been living in the area), they have to provide an assistance.

He only issue is if you say you will just leave etc they may call this intentionally homeless, which basically means they might not help. Essentially go to them with all you can otherwise they might be a pain, shelters website offer housing and benefits advice and would also recommend the directs gov benefit calculator to see what you may be entitled to.

I hope this make sense just wanted to help by explaining the process so hope you don't mind
  4. randomguy9

randomguy9 Put's the "Pro" in Profanity Chat Pro

Living in an invalidating environment does a lot to exasperated issues leading to suicidal feelings in my experience.

Granted, we all need physical safety. At the same time, if we are constantly knocked down (figuratively speaking) in our own homes... it is hard to recover from suicidal feelings.

Something I try to do in life... I don't make any big decisions without sleeping on them 1st.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.