MRI Of The Brain - Anyone Had One Done?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by DylanS, Nov 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DylanS

DylanS Member

I'm curious as to whether anyone has had an MRI done of their brain.

I know there are abnormalities for those with PTSD and with schizophrenia but not sure for other disorders.

Mental illness runs in my mother's family but not sure what kind. My great grandmother may have had schizophrenia. My mother was histrionic.

I've shown symptoms most of my life. When I was young I had to do things all in even numbers and I was preoccupied with order (things had to be in place, etc. before I could sleep or go to school, etc.) I had extreme anxiety as a child but it didn't seem to have any origin. The even numbers fixation stopped by will; one day I got sick of having to spend over an hour in the bathroom flushing the toilet 8 times with each hand and I was just able to, with some effort, quit.

When I was in my early 20's I was tormented by a voice that I called The Tyrant and, when it was most active, my girlfriend knew it was bad when I said, "The Tyrant is on the prowl". It was a whispered, vehement voice that I had to strain to listen to, but listen I must, and it would torment me with how horrible I was and how I should die. I never thought the voice was outside of me, however; I knew that it originated somehow from within. That voice dissipated over the years and by my 30s was completely gone. Over the years I have sometimes heard my name being said, out loud, and not internally, but that's all that's ever come of it. Just my name - nothing more.

I was dx'd in my early 20's as schizoid, but those symptoms, too, have dissipated to a great degree. I feel as though I missed schizophrenia by a small margin. I was later dx'd with CPTSD, but my main issues now are recurrent depression, a pervasive sense of nihilism and fatigue from keeping up the facade and fit in.

I was wondering if getting an MRI would assist in better treatment, so was curious if anyone had had one and, if so, has it helped in diagnosis and treatment for you?

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I don't know if an MRI would result in better treatment really I think a psychiatrist could make a diagnosis without it. I know it can be used though to see the changes in the brain so it would not hurt if you are interested just to see what has happen

3. houseofcards

houseofcards Well-Known Member

I've had an MRI done before but I have very little memory of it. I have schizoaffective disorder AND PTSD and yeah, some MRI scans show over-activity in the visual and auditory parts of the brain along with a few other differences, but it's more of a research-type thing than a requirement to be Dx'd with anything under the "schizophrenia umbrella".

I'm due for an MRI December 5th, actually, because my neurologist wants to see certain things that I'm actually unsure of because asking her is nearly impossible because of her extremely thick Russian accent, getting off the tangent.

It's not really necessary to get an MRI to aid in mental health treatment.

4. WhateverDan

WhateverDan Member

I've been thinking about trying to get an MRI or a blood test, or just something that can confirm that there something wrong with me or my brain. Honestly, it would be a relief at this point but I don't know how to go about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.