MSG and worsening depression...

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by SaraRose, Feb 18, 2012.

1. SaraRose

SaraRose Well-Known Member

(Sorry if I don't write the posts as good as others, but I just wanted to share this little bit)

I have no actual, scientific studies showing this. No actual proof, and it may not work for everyone. But I have noticed it in me, and I have seen on the internet where others report the same thing, that when I eat a lot of MSG I can feel my depression get worse. It may sound weird but that's when I get the most suicidal- when I've eaten a lot of MSG containing foods.

Granted when I started my MSG-free (or almost free) diet it was never for my depression; instead it was for my migraines that were coming every day, leaving me in bed when my depression wasn't. I found after weeks of research that it could trigger migraines and figured it wouldn't hurt to try. After a week it was amazing! I found I could get up without pills and after about 2 weeks I found my depression wasn't as bad.

I've faultered lately with my diet- the craving for potato chips or for onion rings gets too strong and I hafta eat it- and I've noticed more migraines and that my depression is getting bad again. I started looking on the net, and found others that have made the depression-MSG connection.

So I thought I would share with you that maybe this can help. I will be the first to say it's a pain to be MSG free. I've NEVER stared at so many lables in the grocery store before. And I do crave foods I can't have (I swear I'd kill for Mac and Cheese- but I can't find the 'safe' cheese that melts good). But when I realize I'm pain free or that I can smile again without feeling horrible I decide it's worth it. And the down side, when you do faulter it does take time for the MSG to leave your system; like right now I'm going through the severe headaces/borderline migraines and depression from a skinny cow peanut butter snack and animal cookies that I had had about three days ago.

Anyways I'm rambling now. But if you did wanna try a MSG-free diet this site here, this woman's post, is AMAZING! I used it and found that everything she wrote that was ok to eat that I could eat. http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2976

So that's all I wanted to share with you all.

2. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Hi, SaraRose.

Thanks for sharing this. I'm sorry to hear you're having a bit of a time right now.

I read labels on processed food products, too, because of the migraine–MSG connection. Snack foods are a big culprit; so are many tinned/dried soups and some spice mixes. I do a lot of simple home cooking/baking with "OK" ingredients and freeze them to have on hand. It's a pain sometimes, but home cooked is healthier, tastes better, and doesn't have MSG to give us headaches or depression. I have also found a substitute for chips (popcorn) - but alas, none for cheese :(

I hope you feel better soon!

3. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I'm not surprised that MSG can worsen depression. It can do strange things to your body. I always feel numb and hot and have a racing heart after I eat Chinese food. That still doesn't stop me from eating it, since I like it so much lol.

4. SaraRose

SaraRose Well-Known Member

Acy- Thanks, I just went through a horrible migraine. Found out that this "all natural" snack was not on the ok list for sure

Witty_sarcasm- Ah yeah it's really kinda scary half of the stuff that MSG does to your body. :/

5. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I think not only MSG, but a lot of additives in food can cause an array of symptoms. Lately I feel sick every time I eat something, so I can only imagine what that is from.

6. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

wow I had no idea about MSG, I had to google it. Ironically, I've stopped eating chips for two weeks now. I'm trying to work on my water retention and so chips are salty so I stopped eating them. Now I'm going to have to check everything to make sure it doesn't have that in it. There are so many bad things in food, its not funny. It makes you wish you didn't have to eat...