Mubarak resigns after 18 days of protests

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Prinnctopher's Belt, Feb 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

By PAUL SCHEMM and MAGGIE MICHAEL, Associated Press Paul Schemm And Maggie Michael, Associated Press – 18 mins ago

CAIRO – Fireworks burst over Tahrir Square and Egypt exploded with joy and tears of relief after pro-democracy protesters brought down President Hosni Mubarak with a momentous march on his palaces and state TV. Mubarak, who until the end seemed unable to grasp the depth of resentment over his three decades of authoritarian rule, finally resigned Friday and handed power to the military.

"The people ousted the regime," rang out chants from crowds of hundreds of thousands massed in Cairo's central Tahrir Square and outside Mubarak's main palace several miles away in a northern district of the capital.

The crowds in Cairo, the Mediterranean city of Alexandria and other cities around the country erupted into a pandemonium of cheers and waving flags. They danced, hugged and raised their hands in prayer after Vice President Omar Suleiman made the announcement on national TV just after nightfall. Some fell to kiss the ground, and others chanted, "Goodbye, goodbye."

"Finally we are free," said Safwan Abou Stat, a 60-year-old protester. "From now on anyone who is going to rule will know that these people are great."

Thousands from around the capital converged on the celebrating crowd in Tahrir, or Liberation, Square, the epicenter of the stunning protest movement that was started by a small core of secular, liberal youth activists on the Internet and turned into the biggest popular uprising in the Arab world.

The protests have already echoed around the Middle East, with several of the region's autocratic rulers making pre-emptive gestures of democratic reform to avert their own protest movements. The lesson many took: If it could happen in three weeks in Egypt, where Mubarak's lock on power had appeared unshakable, it could happen anywhere.

The United States at times seemed overwhelmed trying to keep up with the rapidly changing crisis, fumbling to juggle its advocacy of democracy and the right to protest, its loyalty to longtime ally Mubarak and its fears of Muslim fundamentalists gaining a foothold. Neighboring Israel watched with growing unease, worried that their 1979 peace treaty could be in danger. It quickly demanded on Friday that post-Mubarak Egypt continue to adhere to it.

Mubarak, a former air force commander came to power after the 1981 assassination of his predecessor Anwar Sadat by Islamic radicals. Throughout his rule, he showed a near obsession with stability, using rigged elections and a hated police force accused of widespread torture to ensure his control.

Full Story:
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

What now i hope they get a leader more compassionate so much unstability i hope things settle down now and peace comes back for the people there
  3. Bob26003

Bob26003 Well-Known Member

Good For Egypt. Maybe now they can stop the illegal and morally requgnant blockade Israel has on Gaza.

I find it very disheartening how all the rightwingers were up in arms saying it is an extremist and communist revolution blah blah blah
  4. jota1

jota1 Well-Known Member

If there is going to be a war it will start in that region of the world, lets face it in this highly unstable new world with ever increasing food and fuel prices this new found freedom will not change the lives of the people of Egypt. There will be more and more civil unrest.

I find it funny that some westerner do-gooders think that we should butt out of the region but I am sure they would not like it if the price of their food, fuel etc went up in their country by 1000% from one day to another. All the subsidies , social care, transport etc etc would go up in smoke and we would be dictated to by religious fundamentalists and societies that are less evolved than ours. You think thats not possible? have a look at history

Be careful what you wish for
  5. flowers

flowers Senior Member

I do hope that balance is restored to Egypt and other areas of the middle east and the rest of the world. One by one, I hope that those who choose balance will become fed up, and feel empowered enough to put an end to false power. And then hold space for balance to be restored. Its not easy. But it is not impossible.
  6. Mortal Moon

Mortal Moon Well-Known Member

Only 18 days?

7. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

Ill hold my cheers.
    They've replaced an autocracy with a military junta and I have no idea who will replace that...
  8. flowers

flowers Senior Member

yes. I am very cautiously optomistic. Only the people can change things, in any country. Governments ( and those who are part of that mechanism) will do all they can to hold on to false power. However, balanced power can prevail. We will see what happens. This is just the beginning. It must happen in all countries for balance to be restored in the world. Hopefully accomplished as peacefully as possible. I have hope. For all countries and all people.
  9. jota1

jota1 Well-Known Member

Although well meaning I cant see how there can ever be balance (at present) in this world. You dont want to loose the privileged life you have but the other countries want yours and they will not have any problem taking it away from you. You either "fight" to keep what you have or you will loose it. thats how nature works.

Wasn't that to be expected? I just hope the military can contain this until everything cools down but it looks like the middle east is falling like a deck of cards, i wonder if Iran is not behind what seems to be a concerted effort to destabilize all those countries at once, maybe do radicalize them?
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2011
  10. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

I hope they get the freedom they want.
  11. shades

shades Staff Alumni

Not much will change for those people for maybe another hundred years! They have to create a completely different society. The U.S. is still a work in progress (moving backwards at the moment) after over more than 200 years!
  12. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Power to the people! Woo!
  13. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

Considering that this is the first successful popular revolt in Egypt's 7,000 year history, I'd say there is a lot to celebrate, even given the uncertainty. The wave of protests sweeping the Arab world could very well mark a paradigm shift in the region not unlike in Eastern Europe in 1989.

Or it could all very well falter. There really are a lot of uncertainties and concerns, especially with how volatile politics - and international meddling - is throughout the region. But as the saying goes, you can't kill an idea. Even if these revolutions don't turn out to be successful, they'll have a considerable effect on future regimes.

We should also bear in mind that much of this civil unrest is being led by the younger generation, who comprise the bulk of the Arab world's population. This is the future crying out for democracy and opportunity *now*
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2011
  14. jota1

jota1 Well-Known Member

Opportunity yes but I dont know if most of the population truly understands the meaning of the word democracy. The illiteracy % in the region must be pretty high and democracy can be pretty frustrating if you dont understand it. Israel, being the only real democratic country in the area, has a lot to say about this new middle east.
  15. Bob26003

Israel hates it from what I can tell. They were hedging their bets on the torturer/human rights violator Sulimon.

Just because ppl disagree with you does not mean they should be oppressed and tortured. There is a reason alot of ppl in the middle east hate us.

Its because we back brutal dictators like saddam and mubarak and the saudie royal family, at the same time espouse democracy meanwhile the US backed dictators are torturing and oppressing their peoples.

Also Palestine. Enforcing a blockade and then bombing civilians and basically turning Gaza into a prison/murderfest is illegal under all the international standards. Israel even bombed the UN food dispensary and the Goldstone report proved that Israel committed en mass war crimes intentionally during the last slaughter of Lebanese.

Our blind support of Israel will bite us in the arse one day. But AIPAC is a powerful lobby with long tentacles.

I think its time we stop subsidizing Israel's war crimes. If they can act moral and follow international practices than yes we should support them.

But right now they are determined to get Israel back to its biblical borders and end of the world Christians here in the US support it because they believe it is necessary for Christ to come back. What they don't say out loud though is that these end of the worlders believe that all the Jews who do not convert will be slaughtered.

fun stuff :cow:
  16. Bob26003

Strikes!!! Go PPL power! :yay:

CAIRO – Egypt's military government on Monday urged a halt to widespread strikes inspired by a popular uprising that threatened to paralyse the country following Hosni Mubarak's overthrow.

The orders came after the elderly generals now ruling the country met some of the young Internet activists who triggered the revolt against Mubarak, reportedly promising a referendum on a new constitution within two months.

European governments, meanwhile, moved on Egyptian requests to freeze the assets of several officials of the ousted regime amid accusations that they had salted away billions of dollars in ill-gotten assets.

In its latest announcement since it took power on Friday, the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces urged trade union leaders to call off their action but stopped short of issuing a decree banning strikes, as it had been rumoured to be preparing to do.

"Honourable citizens can see that protests at this critical time will have a negative effect in harming the security of the country," its spokesman said.

The nationwide uprising that toppled Mubarak's 30-year rule has splintered into scattered pay strikes by workers in the banking, transport, health care, oil, tourism and textiles sectors, as well as state-owned media and government bodies.

"It's difficult to say exactly how many people are striking and where. Who isn't striking?" Kamal Abbas of the Centre for Trade Union and Workers' Services said.

Many of the strikes were aimed at removing corrupt union leaders tied to Mubarak, he said.

At one such protest, public transport workers demanded better working conditions and accused officials of corruption.

"They send us out with vehicles with bad brakes... There is no maintenance on the cars," said one demonstrator.

At another protest, hospital workers formed a human chain to stop traffic on the highway south out of the capital, causing a major traffic jam and infuriating motorists who shouted: "Shame on you!"

The strikes prompted the stock exchange to again delay reopening until next week, citing "fears of instability."

In the shadow of the Great Pyramids of Giza a different kind of protest was held, with hundreds of guides urging tourists to return, holding banners in English, French, Russian and German that: "Egypt loves you."

The cyber campaigners said the junta, which dissolved parliament and suspended the constitution on Sunday, vowed to rewrite the document within 10 days in line with the protesters' demands for democratic change.

The Supreme Council of the Armed Forces has set a six-month timetable for holding elections but said the cabinet Mubarak hastily appointed on January 31 -- headed by a former air force commander -- would stay on.

"We met the army... to understand their point of view and lay out our views," said 30-year-old Google executive Wael Ghonim and blogger Amr Salama, in a note on a pro-democracy website that helped launch the revolt.

Ghonim became an unlikely hero of the uprising after tearfully describing his 12 days in detention in a televised interview, and has since embarked on a high-profile media blitz despite denying he has political ambitions.

The sweeping changes announced by the council dismantled the political system that underpinned Mubarak's rule, which ended on Friday when he was driven from power after the 18-day pro-democracy uprising.

The dissolved parliament was seen as illegitimate following elections last year that were marred by widespread allegations of fraud and gave Mubarak's National Democratic Party (NDP) an overwhelming majority.

The protesters had also demanded the overhaul of the constitution, which placed restrictions on who could stand in elections and made it virtually impossible to seriously challenge the NDP.

Several members of the previous government, including sacked premier Ahmed Nazif and widely hated interior minister Habib al-Adly, have been banned from leaving Egypt by authorities investigating graft allegations.

Hundreds of members of Mubarak's police force -- which was widely viewed as corrupt and brutal -- have demanded in an attempt to show their solidarity with the uprising that Adly, their former boss, be publicly executed.

British Foreign Secretary William Hague said his government had been asked to freeze the assets of several former regime officials. A German foreign ministry said Berlin had received a similar request.

The Tunisian uprising was an inspiration to Egypt's protest movement, which in turn triggered anti-government demonstrations around the Middle East, from Algeria to Iran and Yemen.

US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said the Egyptian military had so far taken "reassuring" steps towards democratic reforms but warned there was still much work to do.

"This is a very challenging moment for the Egyptian military," Clinton told reporters during a visit to the US Congress.

"The steps they've taken so far are reassuring, but there's a long way to go, and the United States has made it clear that we stand ready to assist in any way appropriate," she said.
  17. flowers

flowers Senior Member

humankind relies on the government to change. To make things better. But it is the people who must demand change. Government will not hand this to the people, on a silver platter. People must require this of their government. I was told this 20 years ago. Change will never happen until people command it. Even in democracies that have become largely self serving.
  18. jota1

jota1 Well-Known Member

Israel is fighting for its life, something that the old democracies have forgotten all about. I am sure there have beeN abuses on all sides, thats what happens in war or when your life is threatened.
  19. Bob26003

that is a false equivalent and a flat out wrong Just look at the numbers of israelis vs palestinians killed. look at allthe UN resolutions against Israels brutality.

The difference is Isreal has a huge modern well equipped military that it unleashes on civilian areas indiscrimanetly and has been proven to be a systematic and ongoing human rights violator and war crimes committer. The Palestinians are poor rag tag ppl trying to survive brutal oppression.

everyone knows it. Any Human Rights organization can tell you so and provide numbers.

It is a warcriminal state.

United Nations Resolutions AGAINST Israel.

Breakdown of Deaths

Israeli and Palestinian Children Killed
    September 29, 2000 - Present
    124 Israeli children have been killed by Palestinians and 1,452 Palestinian children have been killed by Israelis since September 29, 2000.

Israelis and Palestinians Killed
    1,084 Israelis and at least 6,430 Palestinians have been killed since September 29, 2000

Israelis and Palestinians Injured
    9,226 Israelis and 45,041 Palestinians have been injured since September 29, 2000.

Current Number of Political Prisoners and Detainees
    1 Israeli is being held prisoner by Palestinians, while 5,935 Palestinians are currently imprisoned by Israel.

Demolitions of Israeli and Palestinian Homes
    1967 - Present
    0 Israeli homes have been demolished by Palestinians and 24,813 Palestinian homes have been demolished by Israel since 1967.

Current Illegal Settlements on the Other’s Land
    Israel currently has 236 Jewish-only settlements and ‘outposts’ built on confiscated Palestinian land. Palestinians do not have any settlements on Israeli land.

UN condemns 'war crimes' in Gaza

Amnesty International accuses Israel of war crimes in Gaza

The Gaza Blockade Is Illegal and the Flotilla Attack Was an Illegal Act of War

Israel used white phosphorus in Gaza civilian areas
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2011
  20. jota1

jota1 Well-Known Member

Nobody can condone the killings done on each side and yes maybe its like comparing a hypo to a flee, one is much more powerful than the other but don’t underestimate guerrilla warfare. I for one would not like to be at the receiving end of the attacks from the Palestinians neither would I like to live in fear. Statistics don’t show the full picture, these only show that when Israel does go into action that the might of their forces are destructive and lethal but not much else and they have to be assertive because they are surrounded by countries that hate them.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.