Multiple Hospitlalizations.......

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by kayako44, Nov 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kayako44

kayako44 Active Member

Hi,
    I didn't quite know where to put this post...so here it is....I've been in the psych unit multiple times over the past couple of years....not seeming to get better with all of the outpatient help that I'm getting on top of everything....the treatment team I have feels that they are running out of options and are currently looking into placing me in to the state mental hospital, or into an intensive residential treatment program.....I don't know much of anything about these places and am nervous if they do come to that conclusion. What are your opinions on the state hospital and/or residential treatment? Any personal experiences? Thanks

2. StevenSiew

StevenSiew Well-Known Member

I need more information. Exactly what problems do you have?

3. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Residential treatment program are less frightening i think
    the hospital is more for saftey while meds are being changed around
    there is group therapy as well there. in both places.
    Why are you being hospitalized so frequently is it they are not getting your meds the right ones yet if your unstable the hospital might be the place to be.
    I hope your treatment team will do the best for you whatever choice it is if it comes the that.

4. kayako44

kayako44 Active Member

I've been having issues with self-harm and the occasional suicide attempt....the self-harm, although not being a suicidal act itself, is a very dangerous form of self-harm and could very easily kill me....they don't know how I've avoided major injury so many times....

5. betteroffunknown

betteroffunknown Well-Known Member

I can relate to multiple stays in hospitals. During about a 12yr stretch I had been in well over 50x's with stays usually no less than 2wks most common they were for 4wks at a time. The one I truly considered most helpful was the state one. They do have a long term unit at the one I went to. I was never in that unit but had a good friend who was. For her it proved to be very helpful. I believe (now) the key to how helpful it is is based on how much youre willing to utilize and practice what they have to offer. Im sure in long term theyd be able to help you work through that too. Best wishes

6. kayako44

kayako44 Active Member

Right now, the state hospital sounds like a good option for me, but I'm so nervous and downright scared about going.......I don't know if I'll ever return

7. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

i also self harm. do you know this site? http://healingselfinjury.org/ it's one of the best i've seen. the newsletters are great. i downloaded them all and spent an evening reading through them. hope it helps

8. betteroffunknown

betteroffunknown Well-Known Member

It makes sense to be nervous. I assure you that you will make it out of there. The length of your stay will be mostly be determined by how much you put into it really. Id encourage you to put to good use your time there. There were some times when I wanted to be able to utilize that route yet couldnt. I couldnt help but wonder if it would of aided in a faster recovery. Yes, recovery is possible too! Long term doesnt have to mean forever. For my dear friend it was 14 months as I recall. No doubt it could feel like forever, but reality is forever isnt 14months. For some it's longer, and some not as long. I self harmed in many forms for a long time. Dont anymore. So it is possible! They dont want for you to be there forever. Thats why theyll do their best to help you, and it takes two to make it happen, you and them working together. Theyre for you not against you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.