Music, for the masses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoD

Well, my objective is to make a thread, in which people can find music for different occasions and feelings. I want everyone to post songs and tell me what feelings they get while listening, I'll keep this first post edited with up-to-date information. Post to me!

I myself will add some songs to begin with, I'll try to find samples of the music in case people are interested and this thread works out. I'm hoping it will. I'll also add links to places where you can download it, in case this thread catches on. :P I'll also add some artists in general who make a certain kind of music, in case they make a lot of songs in a certain emotional genre.

Undecided (I'm not sure as where to put this, help me!)
Heart of Gold - Neil Young
Just like a Woman - Bob Dylan

Extremely Sad Songs - Artist

Flying - Living Colour (*)
Sara - Jeffersons Starship
Hate me - Blue october (*)
Hurt - Nine Inch Nails or Johnny Cash (both are good)

(*)might trigger

Sad songs - Artist

Pretty girl (the way) - Sugarcult
Castles made of sand - Jimi hendrix

Sad but motivational Songs - Artist

32 Flavors - Ani Difranco
You're not a lone - Saosin
Three days Grace - Never too late

Songs that lift your spirits - Artist

Försvinn Du Som Lyser - Finntroll

Songs for hating love - Artist

I hate everything about you - Three days Grace

Songs that flow hatred - Artist

A call for blood - Hatebreed (and other songs by hatebreed, most are okay if you're angry and like metal)

Well, you guys get the idea, I'll work on some more songs for this, I'll analyse and write down a list of songs, what exactly they do to me and if you disagree with anything stated in this list, do tell! I know friends who have been through some rough times and music helped them a lot, for me it doesn't work as effectively, but it does help.

Share your musical knowledge, tell us what the music does for you and share it! If you'll all be nice, I'll even share secret music finding techniques passed on to me by omniknowledgable people!

Hope a lot of people will like this idea. ^^ PM me if you don't make a post in this thread, I don't care. As long as we get a list worth reading. :)

Yours truly,

LoD

Last edited by a moderator:

~Nobody~

Nice idea! :smile:

However, you won't be able to update that post repeatedly. You can only edit for an hour on here unless you're a mod/admin/etc.

So you might want to talk to a moderator about making this thread work the way you suggested.

Good luck with it, x

B

bombeni

LoD - nice idea. I think of course this all depends on the age of the listener, and I am under the impression most of the people at this site are teenagers or early 20's, including yourself I think. The songs that move me are songs from my youth mostly, as well as a few recent modern Christian songs. So I don't think I could contribute much. However, just to get it started, I will go ahead and post a couple of songs that bring back great memories and take me back in time just for a few moments, to a simpler place and time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh44QPT1mPE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PqT4mUcfwM

LoD

~Nobody~

I've already sent a PM to a moderater, thanks for the tip. :P I'll get working on it.

Bombeni

Yes, I'm aware that most songs are age related, but there are most definately songs that just hit a certain spot with everybody. :) Heart of Gold for instance, I love that song. ^^ It really touches me and I'm sure that the general SF population will feel the same way, for if they chose music from the 'sad' part, the music usually will produce sad feelings, for instance. Mostly due to lyrics or musical aspects.

I'll listen to heart of gold a few times and decide which category I'll put it in, same with Bob Dylan. Thank you for contributing, bombeni. :)

poison

Finntroll has some of the most moodlifting songs I know, if you can let yourself go to music, Finntroll is the way to go, especially Försvinn Du Som Lyser. Seeing as you like Finntroll, I'm pretty sure you have a few ideas as what to put here, post, poison, post! Sad songs, happy songs, everything goes, just think of what category it should be in and post it, I'll review it and add it to a list. :)

noplacetogo

thanks bombeni for that Heart of Gold live clip! man, i love that song. i know a lot of people here are probably too young to know Neil Young, but that's one of those songs that transcends time.
good luck LoD.

LoD

Okay, I agree that Bob Dylan is a great artist, but I realise that some young people might not like it. What if I make 2 seperate lists? One for 'Antiquities', one for the younger generations? I'll be needing some help from people though. I know a fair range of music from a few generations ago, but still I don't know every masterpiece out there and I'd need a few people to help me find a decent list of songs to start with.

Helping out?
I'd like to ask everyone who thinks this is a good idea, to put a link in the signature, to spread the word around. ^^ I'll be asking a few people in PM, but people who read this are free to put it in their signature. Please do.

(*)might trigger

Sad songs - Artist

Thee days Grace - Never too late

Well on the more modern side I'd like to suggest "A Little High", "No Worries" and "Lay Your Hands" by Simon Webbe, all of those are sad-ish but inspirational (sample quote: "I just know your life is gonna change; maybe not today, maybe not today, someday soon you'll be alright"), as well as "A Town Called Hypocrisy" and "Rooftops" by Lostprophets, good for screaming along to if you're mad :tongue: , then "Acoustic #3" and "Sympathy" by the Goo Goo Dolls, which are sad, and "Become", which is sad but inspirational...
(I really love music, as you can tell)...
So those are all more modern, but on the older side, I'd go for "Don't Rain On My Parade" by Barbra Streisand, which is lighthearted and fun to sing along to and raises your spirits, pretty much anything by the Beatles - "Hey Jude" maybe being a little sombre but then you get the na na na...bit which is always fun :tongue: and "I Feel Fine" or "Day Tripper" or others like that to sing along to, which are great - then River of Dreams by Billy Joel, which is very calming but fun...
Other than that, stuff by Eminem if you're mad, Linkin Park if you *want* to nurture the depressed mood (particularly Numb, Breaking The Habit, or Easier To Run), and personally, I always like singing along to stuff by Fred Astaire or Judy Garland or Gene Kelly, old movie stars, to make me smile :)

LoD

Helping out?
I'd like to ask everyone who thinks this is a good idea, to put a link in the signature, to spread the word around. ^^ I'll be asking a few people in PM, but people who read this are free to put it in their signature. Please do.

Rewards?
I'll give away a few rewards, in the form of programs and such to the helpful people, to make helping more alluring. ^^

(*)might trigger

Sad songs - Artist

A call for blood - Hatebreed (and other songs by hatebreed, most are okay if you're angry and like metal)

I'll work in your songs soon enough, Darkmoon. First I have to create good fitting groups for them and listen to them a few times. ^^

T

thecleric

Sad Songs

Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd (listened to this a lot in the mental ward)

Songs that lift your spirits

White & Nerdy - Weird Al Yankovic
Amish Paradise - ibid
Fat - ibid
Truck Drivin' Song - ibid

Songs for hating love

Love Stinks - J Geils Band

Songs that flow hatred

Hatred (a duet) - The Kinks

LoD

Thecleric
Hey, could you perhaps send me that song, hatred (a duet) so I can listen to it a few times?

Rewards?
I'll give away a few rewards, in the form of programs and such to the helpful people, to make helping more alluring. ^^

(*)might trigger

Sad songs - Artist

Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd
Fake plastic Trees - Radiohead
Iris - Goo Goo Dolls (GGD)
Sympathy - GGD
Acoustic #3 - GGD

White & Nerdy - Weird Al Yankovic (WaY)
Amish Paradise - WaY

LoD

Rewards?

Lost without your love - Bread (*)
Can't Cry Hard Enough - Williams Brothers

(*)might trigger

Sad songs - Artist

Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd
Fake plastic Trees - Radiohead
Iris - Goo Goo Dolls (GGD)
Sympathy - GGD
Acoustic #3 - GGD

White & Nerdy - Weird Al Yankovic (WaY)
Amish Paradise - WaY

Hateful design - Graveworm

P

ProzacDeathWish

I have recently discoverd the Nigerian / British artist known as Seal.

His voice moves me ( to tears, actually ).

His songs Crazy, Kiss from a Rose, Prayer For The Dying
are such beautiful, emotion-laden masterpieces.

I also love Basia and her song A New Day For You. A beautiful song sung by a beautiful woman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00