Music Intensifying Depression

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Inanimate, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Inanimate

Inanimate Well-Known Member

Does anyone else habitually, maybe even excessively, listen to music that has a depressing tone? Even if you don't, feel free to give input. I sure do. I don't necessarily do this because I want to intensify my emotions; I just enjoy the music that I listen to. It's awesome, and it so happens that it usually has a depressing tone. Maybe I like that it has a depressing tone too. As much as I like indulging in listening to said music, it does enhance my depression. The lyrics... the instruments... they all play a part in enhancing my depression. It has helped me cry and release emotional stress, but nonetheless, it's been harmful in excess. I'd like to ease up on my obsession, but unfortunately, I don't seem to like any other music besides metalcore/post-hardcore/emo, and there's not much else that I do besides listen to music. Perhaps I can start reading books again, but I don't do too well with silence. If anything, I could just listen to my music collection in moderation, I suppose.

As a side note, I didn't know where else to create this thread, but I presume this is the right place.

2. ThePhantomLady

ThePhantomLady Safety and Support SF Supporter

I do that too sometimes. I also do it with films actually...

It's a bit of a double edged sword for me... I've always struggled with crying and showing emotions; using sad films and songs to give me a 'safe' reason to cry before I exploded from all the bottled up things.
    But I also know, as you seem to be aware of that it can prolong depression if you're not careful. It can take you deeper than you should be.

There's positive metal music too, though. It's worth looking into, it might be an easier transition?

3. Inanimate

I couldn't watch a sad film--just... no. Unless the film has an actor/actress that I particularly like, then maybe.

Yeah, it's worth looking into. I have some upbeat metalcore songs in my collection as well. They seem pretty rare though.

4. James5706

James5706 SF Supporter

I was told by a councillor that we give away how we feel, by the type of music we are listening to at that particular moment in time.
    When I thought about it, I agreed. I listen to depressing sad music when I'm at my worst, and happy music when I'm feeling better.
    :)

5. Inanimate

I think that's true to some extent. I've listened to upbeat songs when I've felt like total shit, not necessarily to raise my spirits, but just because I enjoy listening to those particular songs. Usually, I'd listen to rather gloomy songs, but I think that's coincidental. Though, there have been many times at which I've listened to depressing songs mainly because I had felt exceptionally bad.

6. MinnBiker

MinnBiker Active Member

I definitely listen to melancholy music when I'm depressed. I often wonder if that is bad. Sometimes it keeps me stuck, but usually it is a way for me to pull out of total numbness. The music allows me to actually feel again, which MIGHT lead towards healing ... or it might just make make feels less lonely. It's all better than feeling numb.

7. BlackKitty

BlackKitty Active Member

I too feel less alone when I listen to sad music when I'm depressed. It's like someone is sitting next to you, completely understanding what you're thinking.

8. Kid B

Kid B Well-Known Member

This topic interested me because I listen to a lot of what some would describe as depressing music whether it's The Smiths or The Cure or Joy Division or some lesser known bands whose music is similar, I think sometimes it is a case of reverse psychology where you go down so low you feel a high afterwards if that makes any sense. Also when I am depressed I will often torture myself by playing one song repeatedly until I feel the need not to.

iam likes this.
  9. iam

iam SF Supporter

About Today by The National is a song I play on repeat to try make me cry. It does make me want to cry, I just can't.

10. Kid B

Kid B Well-Known Member

Ah now I have heard of The National but not heard them, if you see what I mean, I'm off to take a listen to that as a break from the test match which at the moment is beautifully poised.

That's very Tindersticks - do you know Tindersticks?

iam likes this.
  11. iam

iam SF Supporter

I don't know Tindersticks

12. iam

iam SF Supporter

I'll have a look on you tube when I get back, off out just now

13. Kid B

Kid B Well-Known Member

The Something Rain is my favourite album and I left a track in What Are You Listening To? thread, however, many of the songs are quite samey and, well, I managed to find one of the happier ones. :)

iam likes this.
  14. iam

iam SF Supporter

I'll have a listen, thanks:)