Music that enhances mania/bipolar?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by anarulesmenow, Oct 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anarulesmenow

anarulesmenow Well-Known Member

Anyone else find that certain music seems to 'work' with their bipolar? I often find this with my mania, when I am edging up and starting to get paranoid and psychotic there are certain songs or pieces of music that I listen to that get inside my head and almost push the mania forward if that makes sense. They make it more real and there is something oddly masochistic about that. In this state of paranoid manic frenzy, I find that dark pieces of music (but not particularly sad ones) work. Here are some examples of what I mean:

This is a piece called 'The Dark Side' from the Chuck Tv show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfzC6PNLDYo

Here is a song called 'After Every Party I die' by Sneaker Pimps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L5zXQ_7zTI

Music like this just gets in my head on a frequency and makes me more manic but it's sort of satisfying, in that perhaps it allows me to just completely let go of everything and let it take me over. They are dark songs and they make me feel slightly more paranoid too. I loop songs like this and drink and then I get more paranoid and even more manic but get really excited and think I'm a spy. I'm very manic now.

2. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Music certainly can influence mood and emotion. I would probably recommend finding or trying to find music that reduced the swings instead of pushing them further harder, but everybody has their own way of coping.

Take Care and Be safe

Ben

3. Aria11

Aria11 Member

Bipolar and drinking don't go together. I think you should probably seek some help to bring back some balance. When I was manic I thought I was a prophet but I really believed it I didn't know it was mania (my first time) so it is interesting that you do know you are manic. Please get help before you become a danger to yourself and others. There is no telling what a manic person can do, I know from experience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.