Musicians and suicide

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by suicidal maniac, Oct 24, 2007.

Do you play a musical instrument?

1. Yes

20 vote(s)
  2. No

12 vote(s)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. suicidal maniac

suicidal maniac Well-Known Member

It's a well know fact that people in showbusiness are more suicidal then others.
    Does anybody know of any musicians that commited suicide, besides the obvious ones?
    Kurt Kobain
    The singer from Joy Division
    Amy Whithouse, I'm sure she is suicidal.
    It's the sadest thing not wanting to live.

Do you play a musical instrument?
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2007
  2. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Michael Hutchins from INXS killed himself.
  3. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

I used to play synth when I was much younger, but I don't play anything, anymore... I do have musical talents, though... I'm sure I could make good music, if I tried... sometimes music appears in my head, but I always forget it, after a while, and I'm very bad, understanding notes, so I can't write anything down.

X-Japan's singer Hide hanged himself... their music was pretty depressive, oftenly... I like the song "Forever Love."
  4. suicidal maniac

He didn't kill himself he hanged himself to achieve greater orgasm. It was an accident.
  5. suicidal maniac

6. Blackness

Blackness Guest

hmmm I beg to differ this arguement.
    There could be alot more factors than simply "playing an instrument causes suicides"
    Have you thought about the pressure these peopole get due to the public and all they attention and expectations placed upon them?
    I think they are factors.

But then theres the other said that musicians would fit into. Like the arty people are more likely to suffer from mental illness, eg. poets, artists, mucisican (i guess) painters, etc. So maybe they fit into that group.

I don't think we can make such a generalisation as yours though....
  7. suicidal maniac

No, I didn't say "playing an instrument causes suicides", I'm trying to learn the keyboards and I wanted to see if there are other musicians on the site.
    I truly belive that these people have a morbid gain, it's in Freuds psychosis book. I found it in a garbage dumpster. These people enjoy to suffer for their art. Most artists suffer for their art, and it has nothing to do with the outside pressures. Everybody has outside pressures, you don't have to be an artist to feel that. I belive these people put the pressure on themselves. Always chasing a high. Art is dominated by inbalanced people so, they where drawn to the medium inbalanced before they got famous. Unfortunately for the sake of their art they push themselves further. In a way all art is a coping mechanism, so you would have to have somekind of drama, and thats morbid gain. Of course there is the drugs.
  8. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

9. firelizardee

firelizardee Active Member

I think as a group Farmers, Doctors and Anaesthetists are more likely to kill themselves, they have access to the necessary drugs.
  10. thedeafmusician

thedeafmusician Staff Alumni

People in high stress jobs are probably more likely to kill themselves... so that probably would include the medical industry, and musicians *do* face a lot of stress... but it doesnt mean that they'll kill themselves. It isn't the fact that they are a musician I think, but its more like they are always in the public eye, and so people scrutinise their every move, and they are usually under pressure to do well... that's gotta crack a person eventually.

11. blackening

blackening Well-Known Member

well i personally am still not convinced that Kurt Cobain was a suicide but thats neither here nor there.

the generalisation about musicians and suicide is a little too broad i feel, there is more to it, also things that us the public are never made aware of, but often the pressure of being in a successful band are too much for some to take, and then you also have to factor into it that a lot of musicians use drugs which have altered their mindset in ways that remain a mystery to everyone else.

i myself play guitar and write songs, not very good at either but again im digressing, i actually find that writing songs is quite therapeutic at times, of course, sometimes it does backfire and lead me to thinking too deeply about certain things.

if anybody wishes to read any of my lyrics or poems then they are welcome to here:
  12. I think people who are suicidal are generally more emotional than the average person... and those who are able to express these feelings properly can be very successful and make some incredible music.

If Kurt Cobain wasn't depressed most of his life do you really think he would have made the music he did?
  13. protonaut

protonaut Well-Known Member

It's not depression that allows someone to excel in creative professions, you're thinking of sensitivity. Big difference. Of course, sensitivity in a modern society can easily lead to depression, so people often confuse the two.
  14. wasted99

wasted99 Member

Elliott Smith, Nick Drake.. they both committed suicide and had very depressing music anyway
  15. Aaron

Aaron Well-Known Member

Ian Curtis....R.I.P
  16. lebigmac

lebigmac Well-Known Member

A lot of writers too: Ernest Hemingway, John Kennedy Toole, HST, Virginia Woolf, etc. It's no secret that creative people are often more depressed than the general population. My theory is that they tend to see the world as it really is rather than how they want it to be, which isn't necessarily a good thing.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2007
  17. protonaut

protonaut Well-Known Member

I agree with lebigmac - of all professions, writers must rank near the top in terms of suicidal casualties. Most published authors are actually dirt poor unless they have another job on the side to garner income. Very few are lucky enough to have success. Ironically, a lot of writers are ahead of their times, and aren't appreciated until after they're dead. Journalism and editorial work can provide some financial consistency, but the workload is usually through the roof.

Doctors probably have the most potentially stressful jobs - so why aren't they stereotyped as suicidal? My guess is that those who take on such jobs are not the sensitive types in the first place. Some of you here on this forum mention being disgusted by obscene pictures on the internet. Well, imagine what a surgeon must have to see every day cutting people open. Not only that, they must maintain their cool in order to operate effectively. They're responsible for human lives. Consider what it must feel like explaining to a mother that an operation failed and her son has died. I'm sure most doctors and surgeons tend to become numb to emotions after awhile.

Here's a list (which is still under development) of famous suicides. I don't know how the creators of this article define "famous" exactly - but I would guess that politicians and actors could get on the list easily enough. Most artists and writers who commit suicide are ignored simply because the majority of our society idolizes public figures and performers, especially those in films or on television. Even so - note the prevalence of writers and artists listed.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2007
  18. emma-louise

emma-louise Guest

i play several muscial instruments .. and imo Kurt Kobain did NOT kill himself .. if he was so drugged up how did he manage to pull the trigger?
  19. Lady E

Lady E Well-Known Member

Uh.. I'm a classically trained cellist.
    Sometimes someone's emotional pain does influence the music in which they make greatly.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.