Ideas & Opinions Musings on Beauty

Dante

Git
SF Pro
SF Supporter
I couldn't help but notice a member here had their title set to "Beauty is boring" and took quite some time trying to figure out how I should respond to this as I sincerely beg to differ, but I suppose at the same time, to completely agree.

Rather than "Beautiful is boring" I would turn it around and say that "Boring isn't beautiful". All those "flawless beauties" dressed to perfection with every hair under control and every blemish hidden and as unique and soulful as a lamp-post are just boring as hell, and if you accept their ideas of beauty as true, then yes, beauty is boring, but I completely disagree, that isnt beauty, real beauty is about self-expression, seeing a beautiful person is like laying your eyes on a moving work of art, but how can a person be that if they arent expressing who they are, or worse they are and its not worth seeing? Beauty comes from being rich in soul and expressing it. The most beautiful woman I ever saw was this rough, free-spirit I knew at university with a big scar on her cheek and an aversion to makeup, and she was never more beautiful than when she answered the door still with bedhead in an unflattering pair of brown trackie bottoms and a ratty Sonic T-shirt, she was absolutely stunning.

The same holds true for any other standard of beauty, if it doesnt speak to you, its not beautiful. All the cliches like "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and "inner beauty is what counts" and such are true, or at least I believe they are. So if you find the sight of a car wreck or someone wearing smeared makeup and half her hair shaved off, or the result of a group of special needs kids formlessly smearing paint on a canvas is captivating, then you have discovered beauty. That last one hangs in a random corridor in one of the schools I do IT for, and I can't pass it without stopping to look, if the school ever sold it, I would buy it.

Last edited:

neutralbuoyancy

stuck in place yet again
I do agree with you beauty is both boring and isn't always beautiful and inner and outer beauty argument can always get annoying. To be honest I really like to leave it as "beauty is upto the eye of the beholder" but as the simp i am I like to say it differently. Everyone and everything from the societally the 'most beautiful' to most 'hideous' as long as you are able to harness the cuteness and let it radiate around you.

seabird

meandering home
SF Supporter
@Dante & @Auri for reviving it - thanks for posting this, it is a gift to the forum. It is a piece of writing which is apt & important. So much so I'd like to see published.
I believe many people are wanting to move toward expressing who they are.
When I am figure drawing or out sketching people as they pass by, it is their real-ness that shines through.

Last edited:
Everyone has their own understanding of beauty, and I don't think beauty is boring. Besides, saying that a beautiful person is automatically boring and empty in a spiritual sense is also a cliché. At one point in my life, I was very unhappy with my overweight. Even if all passersby told me I was beautiful, I wouldn't believe it. I hated my entire appearance in the mirror. As a result, I changed my diet, exercised a lot, had some treatments <mod edit>, and in a year I got the body of my dreams. Beauty is what you enjoy looking at!

Last edited by a moderator:

Dante

Git
SF Pro
SF Supporter
Ok, so this suddenly got popular again.

So, someone has personally explained their disagreement with my article above, and their specific disagreement highlights that there is room for misunderstanding, that my own opinions on what I find beautiful, what speaks to me, has coloured my definition of beauty above, specifically in the examples I used.

I did not mean to suggest that "natural is best", it just happens to be my preference so I leaned on it for examples. The most important part above for me was that beauty is a self-expression, if what you see the moment you get out of bed doesn't express you, then its not self-expression, and thus not beauty. I just disagree with the notion that we all have to look how the world tells us to look, like movie stars or fashion-show runway-models. If you feel most like you when you just hang out without effort, that is you at your most beautiful, if you feel like you when do your hair and put on the war paint, then that's you being beautiful, and if you feel most like you when you take care and attention in your appearance, and get everything perfect, then that is you at your most beautiful. It is just important that your appearance expresses YOU, not what you think others want to see, and if someone else doesnt find THAT beautiful, then thats just a matter of taste, and you shouldnt waste your time on them.

What someone else finds beautiful speaks about them, what you find beautiful in yourself speaks about you, and they wont always line up, I just think that someone tailoring themselves to meet what others wants to see is empty...

I agree with it; maybe beauty is boring, but we all must understand that life is easier for beautiful people. Beauty and your appearance have a huge meaning in our lives, and a lot of things depend on them. For example, I always had a big nose and a lot of insecurities about it. I felt uncomfortable every time someone said something about my nose. It is why I found a mejor cirujano de nariz en and had a nose surgery. I feel better and more confident since I have a new nose, and I know I look better.

I agree with it; maybe beauty is boring, but we all must understand that life is easier for beautiful people. Beauty and your appearance have a huge meaning in our lives, and a lot of things depend on them. For example, I always had a big nose and a lot of insecurities about it. I felt uncomfortable every time someone said something about my nose. It is why I found a mejor cirujano de nariz en and had a nose surgery. I feel better and more confident since I have a new nose, and I know I look better.
Glad you are feeling better about your nose. Some say plastic surgery is "vanity" but I always say that would only be true if people did not judge someone on looks.

My main problem is my skin and I'm hoping to be able to afford some cosmetic procedures to remove scars and marks. I have to see a dermatologist first to check if some of the troublesome spots are pre-cancerous and then the removal would be covered by our medicare. All my life, some people have judged me based on looks and I've had some very good-looking friends and family and can see how preferentially they are treated. I know part of it is just biological and humans can't help but be influenced by appearance to some degree; however, our shallow culture makes it worse.

And I like the saying "You're not ugly, you're poor." Because poor people are the ones who can't get their crooked teeth, bad skin, scars or deformities fixed. Celebrities who were stars when I was a child now look younger than I do although they are 30 years older. I love it when they are interviewed and asked their secret and they say "mineral water" lol.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00