Muslim Immigration

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Xaos, Sep 15, 2010.

?

What percentage of the nation must Muslims be before we stop Muslim immigration

1. Now! Stop before it's too late

17 vote(s)
    48.6%
  2. 10-19%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 20-29%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 30-39%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 40-49%?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 50% or higher?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Never! They are human beings just like us!

18 vote(s)
    51.4%
  8. Muslim? What's that?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

Kind of inspired by reading some of the comments on this thread

At what point do we put a stop to Muslim immigration into European, North American, and Oceanian nations?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2010
  2. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

To be fair its like saying stop the christians from invading the earth. Who cares what religion they worship. If they wanna believe in god and they have faith in something then more power to them but i just dont accept any religion so as long as they dont shove it down my throat ill accept whoever

3. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Non-discrimination over religion is a basic human right guaranteed by the UN and most constitutions.

4. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

Wish i'd made it so that the poll isn't anonymous, grrr, anyway, moving on....

Yeah, I take a similar approach "live and let live" and I expect many 'western' people do, however, would it stay that way if Muslims reached a certain percentage of the population? I doubt it, not unless Islam has major reform, or they stop being Muslims once they're here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discrimination_against_atheists

Do a google search for better info.

5. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Countering Muslim discrimination against atheists with discrimination against Muslims? Nice.

There've been no intentional stonings (I've heard of children stoning other children by accident) in any Western country in centuries, that I'm aware of. There have been a few honour killings in Canada, unfortunately, but by and large immigrants take part in Canadian culture.

It might happen that immigrants to the UK don't blend quite so easily on account of the previously uniform culture before, but it is the age of globalism and there's no way to stop major cultural changes... Whether you react with fascism or multiculturalism is a choice you need to make (I vote for multiculturalism, by the way.)

6. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

I don't advocate discriminating against those who are here already, I only implied that there should be a limit to those coming here, that is, assuming you want to keep western freedoms intact.

7. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

8. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Well, what word would you use to describe a culture built on discrimination?

You speak of preserving Western freedoms by denying people basic human rights!

9. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

Sorry, but what part of me saying that I support a "live and let live" type philosophy was lost on you?

10. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

Islam has nothing to do with immigration, its a faith. I don't think it is possible to restrict the number of Muslims entering a country, as it is easier to hide one's faith than ethnicity. Regardless of how Islamic extremists hijack the interpretation of the teachings in the Koran, Islam is a dangerous and antiquated religion. However, so is most organised religion.

11. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

Islam has nothing to do with immigration? Islam is a religion of people (Muslims), people migrate... what?

Of course it's possible to get a background check on immigrants. We live in the information age.

Yeah, it can be dangerous, agreed. Doesn't really say much about this specific one though.

12. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

But where does it end? Restriction of the amount of homosexuals?? Jews? Didnt we already have something like this back in the 1930s and 40's? It smells of fascism. Just because someone prays to the wrong god as the rest of us should we then restrict their movements across the planet?

Western freedom is a myth anyway. The government in the UK control everything we do as it is and at the minute we dont even get a say because the people in power at the minute, we didnt even vote them in.

13. flowers

flowers Senior Member

Why are so many people in the USA judging an entire race or religion based on a very small percentage of horrible extremest fundamintalist radicals? My favorite song is one written by John Lennon. For those of you who do not already know what I am referring to, Its called "Imagine" How many Muslums do you personally know? and of those you personally know, what are they like? Are they caring people who practice good social conscience? I suspect most are. I do believe that eventually we will learn that we are one. That the similarities far outweigh the differences. And that perhaps we should not judge groups of people by the small percentage that have turned from their heart. Just my thoughts.

14. ~CazzaAngel~

~CazzaAngel~ Staff Alumni

I'm with you!

15. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

Every emerging immigrant and/or minority group produces anxiety and fear among the recipient nation at some point. In the past it was the Germans, Irish, Italians, and Chinese. In Europe in particular, there was a "Jewish question" and remains in many parts a "Roma question." As far as the US is concerned, Hispanics are another "problem" group that are being perceived as a threat to the wholesome American values and cultures.

It's only natural that it now comes to Muslims, even though every other group before them ended up integrating just fine despite similar paranoia and concern. There's no doubt that Islam has it's demagogues, and that the faith by and large is in need of reform. But treating them as some infectious threat is hardly going to solve anything; on the contrary, it'd be a self-fulfilling prophecy as far as producing conflict and inciting nationalism and xenophobia - in my mind, just as dangerous as religious extremism.

Besides, have we forgotten how the West played it's part in all this? We've meddled in the affairs of the rest of the world for ages, in many cases creating or exacerbating the very conditions that have forced those folks onto our shores in the first place. Granted, I'm not saying we should throw the doors open in some form of atonement or anything, but rather that we consider the other side's perspective

I find the timing of all this Islamophobia to be rather interesting. The West is enduring reeling economic troubles, in addition to increasingly problematic social and fiscal ills. We're scared, uncertain of the future, and angry. Coincidently, Muslims and other "outsiders" are becoming targets for our angst. Clearly we're just dealing with a classic case of scapegoating, in addition to allowing our angst to be taken out on those we don't know so well.

Good discussion by the way.

16. flowers

flowers Senior Member

While I do not think that one bad action ( or a thousand, as the case may be, deserves another, I agree with you.
    I will not go into detail.
    I do not want to be misunderstood though. I am not saying that anyone is justified in perpetrating crimes against anyone else. Not them, not us. And hopefully someday there will be no "them and us". Imagine

17. Zurkhardo

True, I understand that two wrongs don't make a right. I'm merely trying to remind ourselves of the other side's perspective. We're quick to treat immigrants as the invaders and meddlers while forgetting the fact that we largely played the same role as far as they're concerned as well.

18. flowers

flowers Senior Member

Yes, I was too carefully agreeing with you, actually. Was just trying to do it very carefully. Apparantly the agreement got lost in translation

19. Zurkhardo

It's all good :p

20. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

We don't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.