my addiction *this is serious*

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by A.SoNiC.boY, Jun 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A.SoNiC.boY

A.SoNiC.boY Well-Known Member

I was realeased after being sectioned for 30 days at a mental hospital.
    I found out a lot about myself. one thing is that i *and it is NOT FUN nor a Joke* Am a Sex Addict. At first i was going to post in the relationship/sexuality forum but it isnt about that. when people think of sex addiction the term pig or slut is interally thought. the thing is sex is a natural antidepressant and releases neurochemicals that feel goooood. *opiate level for me* i depressed aftet losing
    My apartment to this quest and then had to go to a group home. Then my car died. Over the next few weeks i had wd symptoms that triggered mania and boooom section 12d. if you think this is bragging then i hope you never have to take this lable too. My name is Will (ben) and I am a sex addict.

2. meaningless-vessel

meaningless-vessel Well-Known Member

Firstly - I would like to applaud you.

It is not easy to openly admit something, particularly when the derogatory terms you have described are widely thought by others who surround us. But it shows that you are willing to look to start the process of changing.

Secondly - If you are able to maintain some degree of control towards it (by keeping it above the legal age), then what you do is actually no-one else's business, and you shouldn't be made to feel 'dirty' because of it or the stigma others attach to it.

Certain labels can build us a reputation we do not like, but you've taken a big first step towards dealing with it. I hope you find someone who is able to understand this addiction and what it is you are able to do to help yourself ease back from it.

3. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Definitely a serious addiction. I have been going to a fellowship called Sex and Love Addicts Anonymous regularly for the past month or so. It's just like a drug. You get withdrawals just like any other addict. You need it to function like any other addict. You cannot even begin to fathom a life that isn't centered around sex in one form or another. At least that's how it is for me. I've had some problems with drugs and alcohol and been to NA and AA meetings as well, but I find I can relate best if I replace alcohol, heroin, cocaine, whatever, with my own most gripping addiction, which is sex and love.

I have spent much of my life caught up in this addiction, even though I didn't realize that it was an addiction until recently. But when I started seeing it that way, things started to make sense. Why I did the fucked up things that I did. How it was such a big contributor to me feeling depressed and suicidal. The way I used people and cared so little for anyone but myself. I am early in sobriety, which I have defined for myself as an indefinite period of abstinence. I have seen many positive benefits from coming to accept this as an addiction and entering into a period of abstinence. I have had a few really good night's sleep for the first time in a long time. I'm less anxious. I don't feel suicidal anymore. But I am still early enough that I can feel the addiction pulling me. I know logically that to go back to the obsessive compulsive over-indulgence can only end in isolation and despair, but every ounce of my being wants to indulge. Someone who doesn't see how this can be an addiction might say to go ahead, you're only human. But I know to indulge right now would be to accept back into my life all of the depression and suicidal thoughts that come along with living in active addiction.

I've also struggled with the fact that some people might not take sex addiction as seriously as someone who struggles with other addictions like drugs or alcohol. I know that I might have been one of them if someone talked to me about it a couple years ago. I might've said yeah ok everyone is a sex addict. But you have to do what's best for you. Try going to a sex addicts anonymous meeting to get that external validation, because it might not come from other people in your life.

4. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Withdrawals are a bitch.

5. A.SoNiC.boY

A.SoNiC.boY Well-Known Member

ty for the serious replies! :)
    i have no problem staying over the legal limit. but i still feel disgusted with myself.. and yeah they are that show. i did 30 days in that ward bc of that bipolar and additional issues. its very serious and consuming as addictions go. i can control my opiate and booze issues. but i used sex as a substitute. its the same as opiates for me emotionally/psycologically. :-/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.