my addictions and me????

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by jimk, Sep 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimk

jimk Staff Alumni

done things impulsively and compulsivly my whole 65 yrs now.. full on or full off.. middle territory not what i do.. have really had no control over these.. almost like was sitting back and watching and just not able to stop it.

used to be a drug addict.. an alcoholic.. a smoker. collector first on video tape then going to dvd with movies and television seasons.. been clean of hard liquor and illegal drugs for 33 yrs now.. katie my wife at time told me one night that the drugs and booze or me and john.. chose my family and stayed clean for long time.. loved them more adn that was not hard.. probably going to die with a lit marlboro in my hand.. could do a diary on the cigs and cigars.. another time..

last couple of days the habit of using dvrs to record and finally getting to the watching the top shows is something i seem to have little interest in doing any more.. also the buying on dvd and bluray of the movies and television seasons feels something i do not want to do much more of.. the occassional great show or movie maybe will collect still.. otherwise i have no interest or great desire to do anymore..

been doing this for 35 yrs.. all of that seems now to be wasted time and efforts.. feel bit down, a little curious what i wil replace this with.. lord let it be of a normal manner and not a compulive habit.. not sure i know how to do something in a normal and not insane manner.. about the only thing i am capable to do in a sane manner is love my son johnny..

WHAT NOW Jim??????
  2. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

I hear ya Jim.

If it isn't one thing it's another. I always do things to the extremes. Like watching TV. I have a bluray player still sitting in the box. I have a TV but it's one of those analog ones.

I can't even get a TV in HD, because my parents say that I will need the money for my attorney. The attorney hasn't done anything for over a year now, and I need to use the money before I hit a certain threshold, or I don't have insurance coverage.

Anyway, I don't watch TV, is because I don't have an HD TV, an if I had one I'd watch TV. What a twist of logic.

So I know what you mean about extremes.
  3. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

and here's another "addictive" personality.
    I do a thing to death and then just as suddenly lose all interest in it...except bloody fags :rip:
    never could kick that habit.
  4. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

Go with the flow Jim :) I'm finding as I get older that things I was crazy about for doing in my spare time really I've no interest in any longer......... so it's not unusual at all....... I reckon :) I took up playing bridge on line a couple of years ago - now that I have been almost compulsive about, every spare moment - because of the mental health benefits - so desires come and desires go, it's part of the fluctuating seasons of life. :)
  5. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

I can totally relate about the tv series and movies...I can't seem to find joy in them's like I've seen so many that now it's all the same and I'm tired of it...not sure what I'm going to replace it either...I'm trying painting and jewelry making...but maybe I'll get over that and what else am I going to do?
  6. jimk

jimk Staff Alumni

good ppl , thanks for your replies.. taken a bit of comfort in fact it not just me. kindred spirits is good...

well what i was afraid of is happening today.. stilll standing firm on the dvd buying and watching tv shows on dvr.. but just tried to start buying and downloading sone music of john lennon with one alblum.. went thru some agreeing to terms of purchasing on itues and all of a sudden the whole library of lennong tunes is in the lengthy process of downloading to my ipad.. almost afriad to check activity of my visa card.. will get brave to look in a little really do not want to go thru the lengthy p;rocess of talking to the itunes support staff trying to figure out wth just happened???? lol

also bought two more kindle books from amazon thsi mornoing.. guess i know what taking the place of my former compulsions.. lord my oh my i am one twisted lil son of a
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.