1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My alternative to suicide

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by MikeAllen1973, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeAllen1973

    MikeAllen1973 Member

    Too much has gone on in my small town, i can either kill myself or i can move away. I need help from docs, treatment etc but i want to do it and build my life back in a diff town. I have no job or money. I'm willing to work but i need some advice.

    Where can i get accom paid for by dhss away from cumbria. if i cud just get away and meet people again start to feel good about myself i could lead a totally diff life.

    Are there anybody on this site in the UK who puts people up temp?
  2. CatherineC

    CatherineC Staff Alumni

    Sorry I can't put you up but I can suggest ways to go about leaving Cumbria.
    Which city would you like to live in? I recommend Manchester but I'm very biased having been born and brought up here.
    If you go on Manchester City Council's website, you can apply for social housing. The Dss will pay the rent and the council tax. They have some properties that are on a first come first served basis but they're usually in places where people don't particularly want to live. Having said that, I was brought up on one of those estates and never had a problem living there. Manchester Mental Health services aren't the best in the country but are at least available. Theres lots of support here and lots of things going on. It is easy to get lost in a big city though so you need to think about that. Also I'm not sure if the council will give you housing if you actually own a house elsewhere. You could also try to get a houseshare. We have tonnes of houseshares here because there's a huge student population. Houseshare is usually a very cheap option where housing is concerned.
    I do think that you need a new start and I'm glad that you've made the decision to be pro active. Stay strong and good luck
  3. peacelovingguy

    peacelovingguy Well-Known Member

    Making a clean break is not easy but many people do it and in my town we've got various folk who've left lives behind elsewhere and made one here.

    A lot depends on what benefits you are on. It is maybe easier to do if you are on some kind of medical allowance - sickness or incapacity benefit. Either way you are limited in how much rent you can claim - so if you want to live in an expensive town then you'll likely have less than comfortable housing or accommodation.

    Many poorer areas up North will have an excess of council homes. In my area the council rents or social housing rents are able to be paid in full by the government if you are unemployed or receiving sick benefits.

    If you have council housing already its easy to move as many councils will have social housing (often former council housing run by a company using the same staff)

    The best bet is to seek work first in some poorer area then you'll be able to get your name on the waiting list. In my area, there are plenty of empty properties. Best to go social housing or council as private landlords give you less rights.

    Its possible you could have to tolerate a week of some hostel or other and get some accommodation fairly quickly that way.

    Best to ask some advice centre, and there are many there that have staff who oversee this kind of thing all the time.

    PS the advice above is spot on - go to a council website and see if they have property.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2011
  4. NoMoneyToPlease

    NoMoneyToPlease Banned Member

    Hi Mike,you have been given some good advice so far.You should seriously think about what has been said.if you re looking to move to a large city then the experience may overwhelm you.

    Have you though about casual work in a recession proof area?Something like Blackpool at summertime because you really do not want to be stuck somewhere on benefits and not being able to afford to move back to the area you once viewed as undesirable due to your options becoming even more limited than before.

    You really should think about capitalising on the fun times of year in the fun places if you want to be around people.

    Do not make your bold move into a restricted reality,but make that bold move nonetheless.You have nothing to lose but worry. :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.