My Avatar

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Zurkhardo, May 1, 2009.

?

Do you find the symbol in my avatar in any way wrong or troubling?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. No

14 vote(s)
    82.4%
  3. Not sure/maybe

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

It's recently come to my attention that my avatar is or may be problematic to some members here. For starters, I apologize if it is and I certainly meant no offense.

Yes, it is in fact a swastika, but not in the same corrupted vain as that used most infamously by the Nazis. As the colors and other symbols attest, it is a more intricate symbol related to the Jain faith, a religion I am very much influenced by and even considering as my own. This symbol is one of the most ancient holy signs in history and is also predominate in Hinduism and Buddhism as well.

Explanations concerning what it all means can be found in the following:
    [​IMG]

History lesson aside, I'm curious as to what you all have to say about this. If for any reason it is an issue I will happily find another avatar. Thanks for your time everyone!

2. Belladonna

Belladonna Well-Known Member

As a Hindu, I totally get where you're coming from. If someone doesn't know that Hitler glamourized Indians as being the original Aryans and stole the Swastik as a sign of hate, people instantly think Nazi! I usually put things with Swastiks in un-obvious places in my home--it's actually used as a sign to bless something for many Hindus, kind of like hanging a cross by the front door to bless the house.

If you are worried about people misunderstanding, something simple you can do is write a line in your user profile about what it really means...some Jain quote explaining the symbol so people know that it isn't about Nazism.

3. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

I'm German and left wing and I can tell quite clearly it is not a Nazi symbol, those who may have expressed offence at such will more than likely be in the ignorant minority.

4. shades

shades Staff Alumni

I am Jewish, but know the history of the symbol and was never offended by it. Thank you for expressing your concerns though, for those who don't know.

5. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I can't say a generic swastika produces any sort of response in me at all... I've seen your avatar many times but haven't considered what it could mean.

This sucker, however, does produce a rather strong response. All Nazi swastikas are exactly that shape and angle, and when coloured, that colour... And I'm probably not thrilled with whoever's sporting it.

6. Zurkhardo

I'm happy to see so many accepting responses from such a diversity of people :) That's precisely what I wanted to hear!

Thank you all for you're honesty.

7. cinZamurai

cinZamurai Well-Known Member

I´v seen that sign for Falun gong as well. A very peaceful movement
    I figured it was friendly and not Nazi linkt for that reason.
    If the background had been red and with a black Swastik I might have thought otherwise but that was not the case here. :smile:

8. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

Always looked hindu to me.

9. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

i've seen no issue with it. i'm actually pleased to hear theres a jainist here. i always like meeting people with 'different' religious background/views. not meaning i'm a bible basher, quite the opposite.
    but anyway, no its not offensive.

10. Bob26003

Bob26003 Well-Known Member

Its a swastika. ie it makes me think of nazis

unfortunately, the nazis pretty much own that symbol now.

just like ppl associate the sickle and hammer with communism etc etc

11. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

I'm afraid I have the same reaction as Bob, even tho I knew what it was somehow the nazi one sticks in the head.

12. Zurkhardo

Well apparently the staff agrees with that negative assessment. I've been 'encouraged' to change it.

Appreciate everyone's responses. Sorry if I offended any sensibilities.

That symbol has been around for millenniums. Somehow I think if the western world had become as familiar with it as they were with the cross, people would be less inclined to view it so negatively. Unfortunately, the first and only context anyone ever views it is through that of the Nazis.

With that said, I suppose I should just blame them.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.