my bad choices in the past will never stop haunting and hurting me

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by theleastofthese, Dec 8, 2007.

1. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

my current mess is all my fault. I didn't go to college when I was younger and now I clean up after people for a living - and not a very good living at that. I regret everything I've ever done and am sick to death of my poor choices always standing behind me, deriding me and laughing at me. I can't do anything right. What's the point of even trying?
  2. Darken

Darken Well-Known Member

i can relate. It is probably not your fault the way your life is. There are many different things that affect the way people are, the way they think, their choices, habits. so you shouldnt have to feel bad. With the knowledge you have now you could prevent future mistakes , the harder thing to do is get rid of the painful memories.
  3. Wierd

Wierd Well-Known Member

Statistics show that people with liberal arts degrees receive LESS on average than people with no degree but with 4 years of experience (sorry I can't find the source right now but I'll find you later), not to mention they have to pay off those loans.

As for science and engineering majors, do you think they are that much happier being in a cubicle and getting back pains from sitting at a desk all day while worrying about how they are going to pay off those college loans? At least you get to move while cleaning up.

Every situation has its perks and negative aspects.

This November there were over 7 million Americans who were legally unemployed, meaning they are considered part of the labor force but do not have a job (

It's not your fault, and the choice you made isn't the worst, and the way things turned out isn't the worst way.
  4. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

I am trying desperately to find some meaning to my life but it's hard to see the point in going on when every day I slip further behind. I am afraid of everything. :sad:
  5. Fishman

Fishman Guest

Why not take up a nice and cheap hobby like painting or drawing or learn a musical instrument.
  6. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Honest to God Least am gonna send you an huge email on the futility of having a degree (2 of em and I cant get work:dry:).

Is there anything you are really really good at, or something (doesn't matter if u suck) that u love to do?

Anyways will wing email your way:biggrin:
  7. Bograt

Bograt Active Member

Well, a big problem is that people tend to see where they are now, and where they wish they would be. It's sometimes hard to see the stuff in between here and there. If you dislike your job now, think of what you want to be, not nessecarly what will get you the most money, but what will make you happy (or at least less unhappy!). The catch is this: you can't sit around all day and wish, you have to put some sort of play together to get you where you want to be. If you need to go to college to get you dream job, start slow with local community college. It may not be much, but just getting started and making some (however little) progress is a hell of a lot better than just sitting around and wanting. Heck, if you really want a change just try out a "trade" career at an entry-level, like carpentry, electrical work or HVAC. If you know which end of a hammer is the "smacky the naily" end, a lot of places would be willing to hire you on the spot. Just an idea though.
  8. down_and_low

down_and_low Active Member

There's nothing wrong with cleaning. It may not be glamerous, but it's honest and neccessary work, and you're achieving things! At least you have the motivation to work, unlike so many people who just go on benefits without trying to find employment.
    And everyone has to start somewhere, nothings holding you back from applying for a new position. Maybe you should try it, you may be pleasantly surprised :)
    I'm at uni at the moment, doing computing. Sitting in front of a computer all day has given me repetitive strain injury, constant migranes and a bad back! No fun at all! But i also work part time at mcdonald's and getting to move around it such a relief!
    Don't give up!
  9. SoulRiser

SoulRiser Well-Known Member

You don't need college to get paid more money. Read this.