My best friend, i'll miss you for the rest of my life.

Discussion in 'Grief and Bereavement' started by Joshuwa, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Joshuwa

Joshuwa Well-Known Member

Today the best friend i've ever had passed away, my pet Rottweiler, Lily.

I will explain everything that happened here, so please don't read into this past this line if this kind of thing is a potential trigger. Also this will probably be a big incoherent mess but I'm sure you'll appreciate that I'm not in the clearest state of mind right now.

All through her life she struggled with illness and complications. At just 2 or 3 years old she developed a cancerous tumour just under her left eye but luckily the vets were able to operate and there was no permanent damage, just a small scar. At 5 she developed cancer in her stomach but again, all was well with her operation and her life carried on.When she was 7 her companion, my old Rottweiler 'Rick', passed away from bone cancer and we could all tell she was absolutely devastated. Shortly after this she developed another cancer in her womb that led to a hysterectomy. Within the same year she was diagnosed with arthritis which left her on long term medication to keep her joints at least semi-healthy, which she remained on for the rest of her life. Over the past 3 years she had been on and off antibiotics to fight off various infections and sicknesses that kept developing, the latest being various fluids emerging from a cyst inside her stomach after she had been out for a walk and a mange that caused her to lose most of the fur on both her back paws. Despite all of this though, she was so loving and caring and i couldn't have asked for a better companion to have with me through all of my own troubles.

At 7:30am this morning i gave her a quick ruffle behind her ears and said goodbye to her as i do every day before i go to work, unknowingly for the last time. At 9am i received a phone call from my mother telling me that after her breakfast and morning medication, she went outside for a pee and came scooting back in as per usual. However, moments later she slipped on the kitchen floor and hit her head which led to her having a heart attack and that was the ultimate cause of her death. The vets told us that every little illness she had over the past year or so had finally caught up to her and that her body couldn't fight it off anymore and the bang to her head was just the final blow that led to her heart giving out.

I can't say i wasn't expecting it really, in January of this year she had a bit of a problem and the vets told us her liver was rapidly failing and that she had a few weeks to live at most, but she fought on like always and came through it. Ever since then i've been trying to prepare myself for the moment because i knew it was coming. The reason it hit me so hard is that recently she really perked up, looked really happy and healthy and i really thought she was going to make it to see another christmas and maybe even another birthday. Sadly it wasn't meant to be though.

Thats really all i can think of to give you an idea of what her situation was.

Lily 'Thompson'; From the ages of 10 to 21 you kept me company and were the best friend i could have ever asked for. I grew up from a boy into a man with you by my side and i wouldn't even be here, alive, today if it wasn't for you. Know that you will never have to suffer again, that you can finally be happy and not have to feel another ounce of pain. I know when my time comes that you will be there, with Rick, waiting to greet me and i will forever look forwards to that moment. Thank you for everything, my gorgeous, sweet and loving friend. I will love you forever and i will never forget you.

Rest in Peace, Lily.
    April 17th 2001 - October 4th 2012
    I will never forget you.
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Hugs to you hun
  3. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

I am so sorry for your loss...I have had both dogs and cats who were my beloved and I know this pain
  4. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

I'm so sorry to hear this. I can see that Lily was a wonderful friend to you and you to her. What you have written is a beautiful tribute to her. :hug: