my body is too big

hi all, sorry to post and sound sorry for myself, but I need to get this out. I am very very overweight [a size 24 uk], i am a member of a slimming club but have not done well at all. i had anorexia and bulimia for years, hospitalised for it about 20yrs ago. i dont know where the last few years have gone. i settled at about a size 14/16 for a few years and although it wasnt ideal i could manage [sort of]. i have been on medication for mental health for 25 years. anyway i had a complete breakdown a few years ago and quetiapine was added. omg i put on sooooo much weight. in a way the bonus of the quetiapine does outweigh the side effects, but it is still difficult to see myself like this. what got it going today was i went to see my friend in town for a cup of tea, i generally rarely go out, but thought i looked ok until i saw my reflection in a shop window. it was bad. also i was so exhausted with just walking a bit. i feel really bad now, like i am fat and ugly and no good at anything. i am sick of being on a constant diet and not really sticking to it, or when i do i lose 1lb in a bout 3 weeks. im so tired of it. i want to feel normal around food and generally around most things. i am so tired. i feel really disappointed in myself. i cant reduce my meds as they have been increased recently in order for me to cope [which i dont think im even doing that]. *scaredid quite like to be slim, normal and your average human being. i am the opposite-its a struggle*blub

Freya

Loves SF
Admin
SF Author
SF Supporter
Meds can be a nightmare for weight. I understand the catch sight of yourself thing. Until not so long ago I was wearing size 26 jeans and the UK isn’t quite as adapted as the US to a “larger lady” so buying clothes at all is a struggle.

I do believe that you have to be in the right “head space” for weight loss or it just doesn’t happen. I wish I knew a magic formula for getting there.i do know that even 15lbs can make such a big difference to your ability to move around though. It might seem like an unclimbable hill but the place where you feel less in pain and less exhausted begins only a few pounds away. Which slimming club did you join?

ive got to go to the class tomorrow. I put my target weight at 10stone which is ridiculous considering where I am with it now. I will change it to the 15lb you suggested and keep the goals small. I truly am overwhelmed, but il give it another go.*hug

Champagne

✯✯ Heart of an angel ✯✯
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Hi there, I have struggles with my weight too. I'm permanently on or off a diet, i'm a big girl and am told I carry it well but boy when I see those full mirror reflections I cringe. I was a normal size up until psych meds were introduced to me, then it just piled on. But I have lost 42lbs in the past couple of years and have manged to keep it off, I still have a long way to go but i'm taking it slowly, as that is what has proven to help in the past. Keep going to slimming world and go to your weekly weigh ins, you are one step closer each time you go to a whole new physical appearance, try to lose 1-2 lbs a week. You can do this *stars

Brân

i don't like me either
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I can relate to you with the anorexia and taking drastic measures because you're unhappy with your body. I'm sorry you're feeling so terrible. It's awful when the thing you live in makes you feel that way.

I used an app called My Fitness Pal. You set up an account with your current measurements and your goal (put in a realistic one otherwise It'll be unachievable, it's a marathon not a sprint) and it monitors what you're eating and putting into your body. It has most brands and you can scan barcodes of stuff I believe. I used to abuse it with my anorexia but am now using it to reach a target calorie/intake rather than not go past one to gain. You can also input exercise. For stomachs - I recommend planking 3x a day and aim for 1 min (I am useless at it and can do 30 seconds at best) but it'll get you muscle and you'll feel stronger.

Also had to get a notepad/whiteboard on my fridge (and then front door when I avoided the fridge on bad days) to write where I was at too for further motivation

Sorry for rant, I wish you every success on your journey to loving yourself and reaching goals healthily. My inbox is open if you ever need it and hopefully I was slightly helpful, even if to let you know I hear you!

Hey
Im 21, male and usually dont tend to get overweight or change weight at all, but at some point I did (took mirtazapine). I went from 67 @ 1.8m to 80 @1.8m
And what I noticed is that some things contributed to me becoming heavier (not sure if it affects you)

1. sleep issues: I always woke up at night and then I had 1st breakfast before going back to bed. Afterwards, I had 2nd breakfast at the usual time.
  2. unhealthy snacks: I had a snack at any time possible. Eventually I found some healthy snacks that I liked (like carrots)
  3. having dinner too early: When I had dinner too early, I woke up hungry at night. Having dinner later prevented that a bit..

Not sure if any of this applies to you though. Regardless, I want to with you a lot of success on your journey

Tana

Hey, not sure about weight loss...just wanted to say something cheesy, which I hope you won't take the wrong way...;

Your heart needs to fit somewhere. <3 *brohug

Hi there, I have struggles with my weight too. I'm permanently on or off a diet, i'm a big girl and am told I carry it well but boy when I see those full mirror reflections I cringe. I was a normal size up until psych meds were introduced to me, then it just piled on. But I have lost 42lbs in the past couple of years and have manged to keep it off, I still have a long way to go but i'm taking it slowly, as that is what has proven to help in the past. Keep going to slimming world and go to your weekly weigh ins, you are one step closer each time you go to a whole new physical appearance, try to lose 1-2 lbs a week. You can do this *stars
thanku xx

Hey
Im 21, male and usually dont tend to get overweight or change weight at all, but at some point I did (took mirtazapine). I went from 67 @ 1.8m to 80 @1.8m
And what I noticed is that some things contributed to me becoming heavier (not sure if it affects you)

1. sleep issues: I always woke up at night and then I had 1st breakfast before going back to bed. Afterwards, I had 2nd breakfast at the usual time.
  2. unhealthy snacks: I had a snack at any time possible. Eventually I found some healthy snacks that I liked (like carrots)
  3. having dinner too early: When I had dinner too early, I woke up hungry at night. Having dinner later prevented that a bit..

Not sure if any of this applies to you though. Regardless, I want to with you a lot of success on your journey[/QUOTE

il try those things thanku and fingers crossed. you sound just like me with the eating habits. im pleased that you got it under control xx:) thankyou

I can relate to you with the anorexia and taking drastic measures because you're unhappy with your body. I'm sorry you're feeling so terrible. It's awful when the thing you live in makes you feel that way.

I used an app called My Fitness Pal. You set up an account with your current measurements and your goal (put in a realistic one otherwise It'll be unachievable, it's a marathon not a sprint) and it monitors what you're eating and putting into your body. It has most brands and you can scan barcodes of stuff I believe. I used to abuse it with my anorexia but am now using it to reach a target calorie/intake rather than not go past one to gain. You can also input exercise. For stomachs - I recommend planking 3x a day and aim for 1 min (I am useless at it and can do 30 seconds at best) but it'll get you muscle and you'll feel stronger.

Also had to get a notepad/whiteboard on my fridge (and then front door when I avoided the fridge on bad days) to write where I was at too for further motivation

Sorry for rant, I wish you every success on your journey to loving yourself and reaching goals healthily. My inbox is open if you ever need it and hopefully I was slightly helpful, even if to let you know I hear you!
that is so helpful thankyou, il sort that app out this morning. I appreciate the advice and im grateful to you for passing it on and for saying I can message you *hug10

Aurelia

🔥 A Fire Inside 🔥
SF Supporter
I refused to take quetiapine for that very reason when it was offered to me. It slows down your metabolism a lot, making it very hard to lose weight, but easy to gain it. If you did stop it, however, I'm quite sure you'd lose a bunch of weight without even really trying. But if you feel it's more beneficial for you to stay on it, it's up to you.

I refused to take quetiapine for that very reason when it was offered to me. It slows down your metabolism a lot, making it very hard to lose weight, but easy to gain it. If you did stop it, however, I'm quite sure you'd lose a bunch of weight without even really trying. But if you feel it's more beneficial for you to stay on it, it's up to you.
hi, I think I need to stay on it, the idea of not taking it and losing weight is so tempting and I have tried it before, but I got so ill again and went straight back on it. I wish I had looked into it before I went on it but I think I would have done / taken anything to feel better at that point. so do I feel ok-ish and look like a beachball or be totally crazy and thin omg what a choice*roflthanks for you help tho :)

I meant to say aswell well done for the 42lb loss *hug10

Freya

Loves SF
Admin
SF Author
SF Supporter
hi, thankyou for replying. I joined slimming world. that's good you lost weight-how did you do it?
I am still a long way from where I need to be health wise but I learned to take it 10lb at a time and when I gain (as I frequently do) I work on making sure the gain doesn’t become a bigger gain and then a bigger gain etc.

I believe that you can only do what you can. I have definitely gained a STACK in the last few day’s but I will go back to it on the 15th and try to reset. I know it’s a totally useless chunk of writing as advice goes but you do what you can and try not to do nothing because you believe you can’t do everything. You don’t need to do everything - just do what you can :)

Champagne

✯✯ Heart of an angel ✯✯
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I will go back to it on the 15th and try to reset.
Co-incidence - I'll be going back on my diet on the 15th too. Wishing you the best of luck, I'm thinking of going back to SW. I hate counting the syns but might just follow the recipes and go for the weigh ins etc.. Good luck to you and you gave good, simple advice ''just do what you can do'', we all know how hard it is to maintain.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00