My boyfriend keeps talking about killing himself. What do I do??

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by lquinn, Feb 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lquinn

lquinn New Member

My boyfriend of five months has recently become very depressed and is talking constantly about killing himself. If we have a fight over anything it leads to him massively overreacting and saying he wants to die. He has been diagnosed with schizophrenia (which I don't believe), was sexually abused as a child and lost his job four months ago. Now he sits around playing computer games every day and obviously getting more & more depressed. He's terribly sensitive to any slight criticism.
    I have been trying to get him to find a job every day. It seems to make him more upset. The only thing he does now is go out & take drugs with his friends. The other day I had enough and was probably going to break up with him. Then I had to spend three hours talking him out of suicide & he says the only thing he has to live for is me. I feel trapped and manipulated. I'm really stressed and it's making my chronic illness so much worse, and it feels like he doesn't care at all. I want to scream at him sometimes that he's so selfish but I honestly don't know if I'm being uncaring towards his situation, or what the right thing to do is. I've got him booked to see a psychiatrist on 17/2 but that's not soon enough. I'm so massively unhappy & frustrated, he's making me really sick, what should I do??
    I've already made a list of things to help him eg. Boxing class, psychiatrist, find job, structure his days.
    I just want to know though if I have to keep taking all this stress being inflicted on me because he's suicidal or can I speak up and tell him he's treating me horribly??
    (I don't know if I want to break up, I just want him to stop taking his negative emotions out on me constantly.)
    Please help :( :(
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

He is emotionally black mailing you and that is so wrong hun he does not care for you if he did he would not be doing this. He cares only for himself What you do is you tell his parents about his suidical threats you tell his doctor and you walk away It is not your job to be his therapist you are not a professional and you need to look after YOU ok YOU alone now

He will have to get another source of support and that is his doctors not you.

You tell him you have to look after YOU now and he has to look after himself and when you are both stronger maybe then there can be a relationship b ut right now your needs have to come fiirst. hugs
  3. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Some times we enable the people we love to continue their bad habits. Whatever you decide in the relationship status, just remind yourself are you happy where you are and do you know what you want out of this?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.