My Brain Never Stops

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Damask, Apr 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Damask

Damask Well-Known Member

So I guess I'm not quite sure how to explain it, but I feel like my brain never stops running on overdrive.

I'll have a task to focus on, but my brain just has to be thinking of something else. It'll get to the point where I have so much going on that my thought process shuts down and my brain feels like it has a lot of pressure inside my skull. When this happens I literally am left not being able to do anything. I even feel like my eyesight is affected because things have become, well, not quite out of focus, but it's like, even though I can see the signal isn't reaching my brain. I know that I'm loking at something, but my brain can't comprehend what it is anymore. I'll have to stop, close my eyes, and force my thoughts to be clear in order to get myself back on track.

A friend of mine and I went out for pizza the other day and I had to do this at the table. I just put my head in my hands and sat for a minute, trying to make it stop. Of course my friend was all like, "WTF are you doing?" I explained it to her and she kind of just raised her eyebrows. lol

But she knows that I have issues, and she and another friend of mind have generally been supportive. Sometimes they laugh, but it's all in good fun and I know they would have my back if things were ever super serious. I tease them about their issues as well. It's give and take.

But it does worry me. I remember back in December, I was trying to wrap Christmas gifts for these two friends and I just couldn't. I was getting ready to go and packed other things that I needed, but I had the one gift on the table, was planning to stop by a store to get the other on my way. I wasn't even really wrapping them. I was putting them in gift bags with tissue paper. But for some reason my brain couldn't comprehend this. It couldn't send the signal to tell me to pick the item up, roll it in tissue paper, drop it in the bag, then crumple up more tissue and put that on top. Boom, done, that's all it would have been. It's not like this is a hard task that I've never done before. But that day I just couldn't do it. I don't know if it was because I was trying to hurry out the door, or that I was also trying to plan my time on how to quickly stop by the store for the other gift, but my brain just shut down because I had a million different thoughts going on at once.. I eventually just had to ditch the gift and leave. I didn't stop by the store for the other one, either.

I explained what happened to the friend I went out for pizza with, and she was very concerned. But what can be done?

Sometimes this happens when I'm simply talking to someone. My brain will stop registering what they are saying, and while I know I'm still looking at their face, my brain stops registering the signals that my eyes are sending it.

I do know what would probably help, though. Please don't yell at me, but my other friend used to be on Adderal. She was on 20mg, then got switched down to 10mg. She gave me the 20's she had left over when she went to 10, and it was the most amazing feeling ever. I could actually function like a normal person. All these problems went away. I could do a million things and my brain never shut down.

But sadly, I have no health insurance, and I have so many bills that my paychecks barely cover as it is. Unless I can get a better job I think I'm stuck. :/

But does anyone know what is going on? I don't really feel like my symptoms ever fit anything exactly. :/
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2012
  2. scarlettdrknss

scarlettdrknss Well-Known Member

i have no idea what it is and what to do, but i have experienced similar symptoms. i will just sit there and stare ito thin air (almost literally). it's like i'm still thinking but at the same time as if i lost my brain and can't think. my parents are sending me to a shrink again. i don't know when yet but i could mention it to him if you don't figure it out xP
  3. MisterBGone

I think that you are experiencing some sort of disruption in your cognitive functioning. I don't know if you worry about this problem of focusing--or thinking--but that could also be a symptom or feature of a potential medical condition. I would recommend seeing a medical doctor or psychitarist, as they can diagnose, and then prescribe the proper medications to treat your illness. What your friend gave you was a drug for patients with ADHD. I don't know a lot about these particular drugs, as I have never experienced the difficulties associated with such disorders, but I've know some who have, and it seems to be a great benefit to them. Of course, the only way to know for sure is to go get checked out by a medical professional, which, you mentioned might be a problem financially. Have you explored what options are available through the community? Maybe they've got some type of assistance for those in need of help paying for their meds? Or have alternate clinics or facilities with their own doctors for reduced rates? It's something to consider! Good Luck and Best Wishes.
  4. Damask

Damask Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies. :)

I sometimes worry that I'm going to completely lose my mind. My grandma has Alzheimer's and even though I'm only 28 I sometimes feel like these symptoms will lead to that. But I'm probably just being paranoid. :p

And scarlettdarkness if you could ask that would be appreciated, however, you're the one paying for your shrink, so I feel like that would be a lot for me to ask for. Unless, like you said, you may have something similar and it could be of benefit for you.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.