My Cat

Discussion in 'Grief and Bereavement' started by attack_amazon, Aug 1, 2009.

1. attack_amazon

attack_amazon Well-Known Member

I feel stupid for posting this, but I also feel like total shit and I'm half crocked at the moment so I don't care.

My cat Chewbacca died today. He was the one we had had the longest. Actually, we got him about two weeks after T moved in. We found him when he was a tiny kitten, he had apparently wandered off from a feral litter and was hiding in our flowerbed outside my window. Of all the animals we have, he was my favorite. And now he's gone. :(

I didn't see it happen, our neighbor down the street came and said she saw a dog attack a cat in their yard and she knew we had cats so I went with her and there he was. He was alive, so I scooped him up in a towel and drove like a maniac to the vets, but he was dead by the time we got there.

I just want him back. It kills me to know that he's not going to be waiting for me by the food bowl in the morning like he always is. And I want to find that dog and kick the bejeezus out of it, but I know it wouldn't solve anything and Chewie would still be gone.:cry:
  2. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

Oh I am so terribly sorry for your loss!

I work with animals and see first hand on a daily basis just how meaningful they are and how they enrich lives so think your posting is totally appropriate.

I have seen you give kind and thoughtful replies so know you have a big heart-a heart that really hurts right now and I am sorry for that.

I am glad you posted about your cat!

Love B :arms:
  3. sudut

sudut Well-Known Member

I am so sorry this happened to your cat. some things happen.
  4. attack_amazon

Thanks. It's not as if Chewie was a human, but it feels almost like he was to me. :( I was thinking about seeing if I could find a little cat garden statue that I could carve his name on and put out in the backyard where we buried him and planting some catnip around it. He always liked to lay under the catnip in my herb garden.

When my husband's and my S/O died last year, a friend of mine who spent some time in a buddhist monastery when he was a teenager told me that he thought that people who die young are actually masters in disguise come back to teach us about impermanence. I don't know if it works the same way for cats, but I hope so.
  5. attack_amazon

Well, I can't say it didn't cross my mind, but that would be unproductive. It's a dog. It's not like it killed my cat maliciously. It doesn't have the wherewithall to understand, it just does what its instincts tell it to. It mightmake me feel better for a split second to hurt it, but (a) it wouldn't change the fact that Chewie is dead, (b) I'm trying to recover from major anger issues and killing the dog would definately not help with that, and (c) my religion specifically forbids causing unnecessary harm, and while I'm not very good at following my religion up to date, I'm trying to change that.
  6. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I'm sorry for your loss :hug:
  7. X-51

X-51 Active Member

<mod edit-gentlelady-quoting deleted post>

But then someone else might find their way to this forum, wanting a friendly ear to listen to their tales about their beloved dog that was killed.

I have never considered humans to be better or worse than animals in any regard. My own cat Bandit means the world to me. Some days, the only reason I bother to drag my self out of bed is to feed her. I can only imagine how you must feel right now.

If you feel the way you do, then the cat was surely loved, and I think he knew it. Animals live in a different world than we do. It's more dangerous, and trust is not given lightly. If it's any solace, I'm sure you meant as much to your cat, as your cat means to you.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2009
  8. MourningAngel

MourningAngel Well-Known Member

i'm so sorry for your loss
    i can relate to it somewhat; my horse is everything to me and i nearlly lost him several times...
  9. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

I'm sorry to hear about your cat. You're not silly for posting this. Our pets are often dearly-loved "members of the family". I can tell that you really loved this cat. In that way, he had a really good life. :hug:
  10. Kishin

Kishin Member

Hey I know the pain exactly. I just put my poor little cat to sleep on Tuesday. He was really sick and I tried for a month to help him but I could not, he had to many problems. But I love the little guy and it kills me that I had to make that decision to end his life. It is very hard losing a pet and I understand your pain.
  11. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry for your losses.
  12. CCK

CCK Well-Known Member

I have lost a lot of beloved cats myself, mostly due to the fucking highway we live by (I hate that god damned road, it took my Felix). I know it's hard, I really know exactly how you feel... if you replace him keep the new one as an indoor cat as I finally learned to do.
  13. Silvio

Silvio Well-Known Member

I am sincerely sorry for your loss.
    Yea, I've always loved animals and when you build a close bond to them, they feel just as important as a human friend or even a family member.
    Well, I would just take it as an important lesson in life, "moving on",
    we can't expect everything to be with us forever. I am sorry, if it unintentionally sounds cold and mean, but I am just stating the truth.
    I really do hope, you recover from it, I think almost everyone has lost a pet they'd deared, including me.

R.I.P Chewbacca
  14. Goldfish

Goldfish Member

My cat died too and i still cant accept it. he was my sunshine and now he is gone.
  15. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

So sorry for your losses everyone.
  16. poison

poison Well-Known Member

the bond you build with animals will always be infinitely stronger than those with people. i'm incredibly sorry for your losses. :(
  17. Emo_kitty

Emo_kitty Account Closed

am so sorry for your loss i know how hard it is to lose a pet
    it will get better just give your self some time to greive