My circadian rhythm is ruining my life. HELP!

Discussion in 'Midnight Owl' started by meeko1004, May 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meeko1004

meeko1004 Well-Known Member

So two weeks ago I had to submit my college thesis, which ended up in consecutive all-nighters and a fried circadian rhythm.

Ever since then, I haven't been able to fall asleep before 4am, sometimes 6am, and i sleep in until noon or 2pm.

I've started missing classes and basically my life is shutting down because I'm tired all the time and can't concentrate.

I'm thinking of taking some sleeping pills - the only thing is, they tend to make me really drowsy and fogged up the next day which i really hate.

Do you guys have any recommendations on any sleeping agents that effectively help you fall asleep?

Please refrain from any lectures on good sleeping habits or other long-term solutions.
    Right now, I just desperately need to find a way to fall asleep at 11pm-midnight.

2. tweetypie

tweetypie Antiquities Friend

ive tried all the over the counter ones and none of them work. I have no idea but ill be reading your thread replies to see what people suggest ! xx

3. aki

aki Well-Known Member

4. Mr Stewart

Mr Stewart Well-Known Member

Is this a recent development due to your thesis writing or have you always been like this?

If recent, you might be able to just jolt it back into normal by a bit of strategic sleep deprivation. Meaning go to bed at 4am, set your alarm and wake up no later than 9am, suffer through the day as best you can (no naps allowed), try to sleep at 11pm. If you can't sleep, get back up, stay up until you feel tired, but make sure you still get up at 9am the following day. Best to do that over the weekend in case things backfire. The basic idea is to give yourself a set time in the morning that you always wake up ever day, no matter when you go to bed the previous evening. No sleeping in allowed. As long as you have a normal biological clock -no sleeping disorders- your body should adapt itself to the desired earlier sleep and wake times.

If this is a recurring problem for you please speak to a doctor. There are several treatment options. None of which work for me (I have DSPS) but I'm told they do work for some people.

5. meeko1004

meeko1004 Well-Known Member

Tried diphenydramine HCl (Nighttime Sleep-Aid, CVS) last night. Ended up sleeping ~12 hours and missing an important meeting.

I had set up like 3 different alarms and I still couldn't wake up and stay up...

Suggestions?

6. Passive

Passive Member

I've struggled with this sort of insomnia my whole life and I've found that for me the best way to get back on track is to go to bed progressively several hours later each night/day till I'm back on a day schedule(though this usually isn't possible). Sleeping pills always either don't work or make me oversleep and leave me in a fog the next day. Have you tried strong coffee to stay awake during the day and having a friend wake you up and make you drink a cup? Then maybe after a few days of that your body will settle back into it's normal rhythm. Also, bright sunlight in the morning for at least 30 minutes is supposed to help reset your circadian rhythm. Hope this is helpful.

7. mulberrypie

mulberrypie Well-Known Member

valerian root. you can get it at walgreens or any place that sells vitamins.

8. kokie

kokie Member

mmmm tis is reall extreme but it helps!!...
    stay awake!!!, all night... dont use pills you need to be very tired... the more the better actually wakyup a little earlier than noon, like 10 or something, then staya wake, it will feel horrible but then ou will go tobed as early as you can.. 8 or soemthign.. i tried that nce i got my schedules messed uop and it worked!!
    it took a bit more, ut that helped to make me sleep .. the think isyou have to ┬┐be just wishing to leep at 6pm or soemthgin, then you sleep nd wake yo real early... and you can rearrenge all faster

i use that everytime imix up my schedulles

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.