My colleagues hate me.. Why?

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by Marathon-Running-Bunny, Aug 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Why?? I am doing my assigned work and yesterday I went to the loo for just 20 minutes because I have diahorrea and my colleagues start to show their displeasure. They don't like me.. Why..? How to make myself more likeable and blend with them..? How? Sorry for asking this dumb question because I am very sad going to work everday with my colleagues hating me and don't want to work with me. :(
  2. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Is this a new thing, or has it been like it since the beginning?

You may have walked into a very tight knit group who see anyone new as an interloper, or, somehow you've got off on the wrong foot.

Be pleasant, but not over the top pleasant, helpful when necessary and maybe try breaking the ice
    with a chat now and then. :unsure:

If all else fails, you could actually take someone aside and ask them outright if there's a problem
    that you don't know about.
  3. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

Hi there. I agree with Terry. You might want to pick out one that is "the lesser of the evils," so to speak, and get them alone and ask them if you've done anything to offend everyone, etc. With the bathroom incident, they may not have realized you were not feeling well. Perhaps ask one of them what they're doing for lunch one day and see if they want to go grab a bite together. It may just be too like Terry said, a tight knit group. Or, perhaps there is a misunderstanding that you can clear up.
  4. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

I agree with both Terry and Pick but also want to add that it takes a while to be liked...start with being cordial, and maintain your compassionate probably want them to like you more than they care to because they have been there...also, I bet you have a good body from running and are young...I wonder if they are that way too...try to not be too overly demonstrative in wanting them to like you, and if they don't, then it is their loss, as you are a sweetie
  5. Samara

Samara Account Closed

Some people are gukking retarded.... I say this, because I too have been judged for a bathroom break, even by family. It's stupid.

The irony is, that this same group, could go out take a 20 minute smoke break themselves, but as long as they do it together, somehow it's fine.

If you often have bowel issues like that, you could just say, before you go, quickly say, my stomach is not feeling great today, it's been acting up. I mean if this is something you are plagued by, you are eventually going to have to say something, so as to not let their ideas get very far fetched.

It also is not a bad idea to try and befriend even just one person at work. Try and find someone who maybe doesn't just go with the herd, who maybe sometimes likes to be alone, or who maybe sometimes strikes up a "Hi, how are you" your way. If nobody is doing this, or you can't figure out who might be a bit more approachable, then make yourself more approachable.

Say "HI", to everyone when you enter in the mornings, or whenever your shift starts. Make a point of literally acknowledging them, and wishing them a good day, or asking how their morning is going. Small stuff... but some people will begin to enjoy this behaviour.

If people are still unresponsive to this, then you tell yourself "well I can't help it if they are a fucking bitch" yes you literally say that to yourself, because if an entire group of people still can't even stand polite morning banter, well that's honestly not your fault nor your problem... but theirs.

If you have a bit of cash to spare, you could one morning bring in some donuts for everyone to share, or some kind of small treat. Just say thought you guys would enjoy a little treat today!

You know something to break the ice, let them know you think about them... hard to hate someone who brings in donuts. ;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.