My computer game addiction.

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Ed., Jan 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed.

Ed. Well-Known Member

I'm not going to be surprised or disheartened if nobody takes this seriously, I probably wouldn't have done a few years ago.
    You may notice my "forum access only" banner also, but that doesn't mean I'm automatically talking bullshit.

I am rather sure I am addicted to computer games.

There's been talk of people the addictive properties of games for sometime, but nothing ever come out of it.

It's not just one particular game I'm hooked on either, it's just all games really.

It might not sound serious, I know the damaging effects of drug addictions from personal experiences and witnessing others.

But it is almost just as life destroying.

I cannot go 1 day with out spending at least an hour playing a game.

What games?
    Currently I am subscribed to two massively multilayer online role playing games, EVE online, and (you might have guessed it) World of Warcraft.
    I've been playing eve for almost 2 years now, and I'd never thought I'd see the day when I became a WoW nerd...

One of the reasons I took to drink and drugs was escapism, to just ascend (or descend) from my body and take my mind away from all the stress, drama and misery real life provides me.

This is why I play the games, why would I deal with the horrors of life when I can just pretend I'm an evil skeleton assassin or noble elven hunter, or a ruthless and efficient space pirate?
    Why would I get myself depressed when I could ruin someone else's day by seriously kicking their ass on counter-strike, battlefield 2 (PR mod ofc) or and RTS?

this is why I am hooked, and I cannot stop, I cannot log off today, clean the house, tell my environmental management group that I have not monitored the average temperature of the phoenix building because the guy I was getting the equipment from is a dick and does not answer calls and I had a load of other personal shit piling up, I cannot log off and tell my best friend "no, I haven't got your soundtrack for your film ready yet because you haven't sent me enough footage and that which you did send me is only 5 minutes long and doesn't make sense and why on earth do you keep sending me soundtracks from 'wild west-esque' films for inspiration when yours is a modern day psychological thriller?

No, I will stay logged on, and blame others for my misery.

Games provide me a world in which I am greeted, talked to, respected, feared, hated, loved, why the fuck would anyone give that up?

2. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

Game addiction is more serious than people might like to believe.
    I was addicted to WoW when I first got it... it was like a beautiful world filled with new things and people who couldn't hurt me, and I could access it from my bedroom; the place I feel the safest! It was great!
    It got to the point where I was skipping school and work to stay online-- or bringing my laptop to school and sitting in the hallway playing instead of going to class.

Yes... it's embarrassing, but it is a real problem and it should be addressed and dealt with.

3. Ed.

Ed. Well-Known Member

Thank you for the reply, I'm quote re-assured that somebody else shares my feelings, and actually see's it as a problem not just something to laugh at, the only other person who I've talked to about it is my house mate and friend who is a hardcore gamer and will flippantly claim he is addicted to games without realizing that he actually is.

Yes safety, I agree, and sanctuary this is what they provide, especially WoW because I find the colors so pretty and lovely to look at,, even if I'm not playing the game I can just stare at the screen looking at the colors...

4. Vangelis

Vangelis Well-Known Member

I would say I'm middle ground with gaming addiction, though I soon realized its just another world with more asshole people with more problems. Just that you can virtually kill them if they become a nuisance. So with that in mind, I've balanced both my real world duties and my gaming and trying to find something I like in the real world so I don't have to retreat into the virtual world. One thing for sure is...I'm extremely lonely on both.

5. corang

corang Well-Known Member

I have to agree most people dont see how bad video game addiction can be because its not a drug. I used to be addicted to WoW I would binge on it, be online for 16+ straight hours a day for literally months. I would eat at the computer so I didnt have to stop playing. The people I played with were my only friends at the time and we were all addicted.

6. Ed.

Ed. Well-Known Member

Yeah I dunno what to do you know, it's just so easy to get into, I sorta don't want to stop playing, but I need to cut down, hah i sound like im trying to stop smoking

7. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

Well... the attraction to WoW wore off after awhile...
    It was a few months down the road; but I just slowly started getting back into my usual schedule of work and school.

I'm not sure how you can really cut down, unless you try the usual things you'd try when trying to quit anything.

8. Mystic

Mystic Well-Known Member

Can I mention my game addiction? It may sound a little weird.

I have only ever played one online game - Myst Online Uru Live (which has been offline for about 18 months now). I got to know a few people, but (unsurprisingly I guess) I made a number of enemies - or a large number of people who wouldn't speak to me - which is a mirror of how real life is for me. But I would go in every day and wander around the various areas, just to be with people and sit around watching whatever stuff was going on. Soon I realised it was addictive, even though I was always alone and never asked to join in with any group activities or whatever. I 'wanted' to stop wasting my time with this, but it was a 'controlled enviroment' which was better than Real Life as I could instantly go offline whenever things got unpleasent (which was quite often) and they had a really effecient Ignore function for those who got really nasty with me. Hence I stuck with it and was always spending my time in this virtual pretend world.

This problem was solved for me in that M.O.U.L. was shutdown and that was the end of it all - but the experience has kept me away from other online games because I don't want to live two lives (one real, one virtual) being treated like some piece of unwanted crap and pay for the privilage.

I only wish I knew why people treat me the way they do and what is it about me that even crosses into the virtual world that makes people treat me the same.

:sad:

9. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

Games are really a social thing for me.

I usually only get online to play with my friends so we can party up and chat about whatever.

Okay alternative if we can't meet up IRL.

10. iitywygmah

iitywygmah Member

Solitary and some puzzle games is a wild as I get with any computer games, unless I dig out the old Atari system. gotta love them space invaders.

11. Winslow

Winslow Antiquitie's Friend SF Supporter

There is a difference between addictiveness and obsession. Addictiveness is where the addiction is the Only thing you can think of. On the other hand, obsession is different because although obsession is also a vice but I can indulge in it while also doing other things as well. So in my case, I don't have an addiction but instead an obsession.

12. TWF

TWF Well-Known Member

I remember being addicted to Runescape, got a very high level, felt awesome, had random people commenting on my awesome armour. A real lift.
    Eventually sold it on for cash after I got bored.

I'd always seen it as normal. I'd come home from school and play till midnight, play the in the morning before leave for school.

I now cherish my playstation, ok, I play a lot but I have nothing else to do, so it's good.

13. TomT

TomT Active Member

6 years Ultima Online
    2 Years WoW
    2 years EQ2
    Few months of SWG

Definite online video game addict, for me it gave me a safe retreat from the real world and a life that has sucked for a long time. I don't agree with it being called an obsession when it gets to the point where it negatively effects your life. There were days I would lose myself in a fantasy world from dawn till dusk when I should have been dealing with real life problems.

Weirdly enough my depression cured me.. I've even lost interest in online gaming.

They don't call it pixelcrack for nothing.. I've heard at least 20 or more stories from players whose entire life has been centred around playing an online game to the point where they've lost family, friends, jobs, their health. My best friend on EQ2 was seriously considering leaving her husband because he used to get violent and verbally abusive towards her over their online gaming 'career'. I joke not.

14. losthope

losthope Well-Known Member

I was addicted to videogames in my 20’s as a form of refuge from reality, mostly FPS games, to let my anger out. I totally lost interest in them when I turned 30 or so.

Ditto.

15. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

You could say I'm addicted to WoW I guess...but it could be what I actually stick around for. Besides a couple of TV shows I like to watch. It's the reclusive feeling you get from it. You get to go away from all the fuck heads and the sadness that is reality. But then again...life could be one big simulation. It's helping me cope enough because there are some nice people on the game I can chat to(I use the Ventrilo program for live chat). And in real life people just look at you and you're rejected. If it's what keeps me here so be it. I've been on it for about 3 or 4 yrs so it just becomes a way of life....and people nearly expect it of you to be on it. It doesn't help that people may tease me as sush about the games I play...just pushes me back. Makes the decision to do bad things easier.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.