• Both the IOS/ Apple Iphone/ Ipad and the Android/Google versions of the sites mobile app are now available for download from the resources page. The app is free for all members. This app will allow you to get notifications on your mobile device whenever a thread or forum you watch has a new post, when your thread or posts get replies, when you recive a private message, etc. The links to download the app are in the resoiurces area - https://www.suicideforum.com/community/resources/categories/example-category.1/

My coping Toolbox

Lilyfrog

My Coping toolbox

For a long time now I have had a coping tool box, I have a plastic box that I decorated with photos of family. The covered it with contact so that the pictures wouldnt get spoilt.

I then added things that comforts myself - self soothing the senses
I added for touch a velvet scarf
my stress ball
smooth pebble
wool pompom
plastercine
bubble wrap

For listening I added a Taizé chant
Guided relaxation disk
Guys and dolls musical
mini ipod

For Sight I added Pictures of family and friends
Some quotes that ive cut up and rearrange to make own quotes

For taste I added a flavoured teabag
Choccy bar
mini bag of haribos

For smell I added a Yankee Candle
hand lotion
my favourite perfume and a card with hubby's favourite aftershave

I also added some bit for distraction.. Suduko book
Cross stitch
adult colouring book
card making kit

I also keep a Diary in there that I add to it each time I use the box. Why and what has brought me to the box, the date and time too so I can look back and try avoid some of the causes.

Another thing I have in the back of my dairy is a mini crisis plan, who to contact if I cannot get through, eg samaritans, 111, family, friends etc

It does help me when I can get to it, I have a mini one for while Im out that will go in my bag

Karmitkurmit

King of the Hedge
SF Supporter
This is a great idea! I'm not sure it's something I could cope with, I'm expert at hiding from my dark moments rather than facing them, but I'm willing to bet there's thousands of people here that could use something like that.

Your post should definitely be spread far and wide if any of the admin are reading. This is almost the epitome of mindfulness and grounding techniques.

Well written Lilyfrog, and thank you for sharing.

Sunspots

Forum Pro
SF Supporter
Hi Lilyfrog

This is something my CPN got me to do. I really enjoyed putting it all together, looking through old photos to find my favourites etc.

I really should try to use it more! Annoyingly I tend to ignore it when I'm feeling bad and let those thoughts take over...

There is a sectional on SF for safety plans which you might find useful.

https://www.suicideforum.com/community/forums/i-dont-feel-safe.103/

Petal

SF dreamer
Staff member
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
I used to have one, I will make one again, I'll try some of your suggestions too. I'm particularly fond of the choccy bar haha, also the colouring book to calm down. You have listed some great ideas for others too. I have a suggestion though, that you add some lavender oil, it's a calming and soothing scent and inexpensive :)

Lilyfrog

Thank you all for great feedback.

@gypsylee The chocky is replaced frequently!!!!

@Karmitkurmit I'm good too at hiding from feelings but I've taught myself to go to the bedroom where it's quiet and I have my box there and I can concentrate on colouring to music etc and have that time too to myself.
Thank you @Lulabelle I will have a look at the link
Also it's a lovely idea to add lavender @Petal I have got some ordered and will add it when it comes. Thank you

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$465.00
Goal
$255.00