1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My coping Toolbox

Discussion in 'Strategies for Success' started by Lilyfrog, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Lilyfrog

Lilyfrog Well-Known Member

My Coping toolbox

For a long time now I have had a coping tool box, I have a plastic box that I decorated with photos of family. The covered it with contact so that the pictures wouldnt get spoilt.

I then added things that comforts myself - self soothing the senses
    I added for touch a velvet scarf
    my stress ball
    smooth pebble
    wool pompom
    plastercine
    bubble wrap

For listening I added a Taizé chant
    Guided relaxation disk
    Guys and dolls musical
    mini ipod

For Sight I added Pictures of family and friends
    Some quotes that ive cut up and rearrange to make own quotes

For taste I added a flavoured teabag
    Choccy bar
    mini bag of haribos

For smell I added a Yankee Candle
    hand lotion
    my favourite perfume and a card with hubby's favourite aftershave

I also added some bit for distraction.. Suduko book
    Cross stitch
    adult colouring book
    card making kit

I also keep a Diary in there that I add to it each time I use the box. Why and what has brought me to the box, the date and time too so I can look back and try avoid some of the causes.

Another thing I have in the back of my dairy is a mini crisis plan, who to contact if I cannot get through, eg samaritans, 111, family, friends etc

It does help me when I can get to it, I have a mini one for while Im out that will go in my bag

2. Mercedesgirl

Mercedesgirl Well-Known Member

I think that's a lovely idea

Lilyfrog likes this.
  3. Karmitkurmit

Karmitkurmit King of the Hedge SF Supporter

This is a great idea! I'm not sure it's something I could cope with, I'm expert at hiding from my dark moments rather than facing them, but I'm willing to bet there's thousands of people here that could use something like that.

Your post should definitely be spread far and wide if any of the admin are reading. This is almost the epitome of mindfulness and grounding techniques.

Well written Lilyfrog, and thank you for sharing.

Lilyfrog likes this.
  4. Lulabelle

Lulabelle Forum Pro SF Supporter

Hi Lilyfrog

This is something my CPN got me to do. I really enjoyed putting it all together, looking through old photos to find my favourites etc.

I really should try to use it more! Annoyingly I tend to ignore it when I'm feeling bad and let those thoughts take over...

There is a sectional on SF for safety plans which you might find useful.

https://www.suicideforum.com/community/forums/i-dont-feel-safe.103/

Lilyfrog and Karmitkurmit like this.
  5. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

I used to have one, I will make one again, I'll try some of your suggestions too. I'm particularly fond of the choccy bar haha, also the colouring book to calm down. You have listed some great ideas for others too. I have a suggestion though, that you add some lavender oil, it's a calming and soothing scent and inexpensive :)

Lilyfrog and Karmitkurmit like this.
  6. gypsylee

gypsylee SF Supporter

I like this idea :)

The chocolate bar would disappear pretty quickly from mine though ;):rolleyes:

Karmitkurmit likes this.
  7. Lilyfrog

Lilyfrog Well-Known Member

Thank you all for great feedback.

@gypsylee The chocky is replaced frequently!!!!

@Karmitkurmit I'm good too at hiding from feelings but I've taught myself to go to the bedroom where it's quiet and I have my box there and I can concentrate on colouring to music etc and have that time too to myself.
    Thank you @Lulabelle I will have a look at the link
    Also it's a lovely idea to add lavender @Petal I have got some ordered and will add it when it comes. Thank you

Karmitkurmit and Petal like this.