My Counsellor is leaving 2 sessions to go!!!

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by downunder, Jun 11, 2008.

1. downunder

downunder Well-Known Member

My counsellor just told me today that she is leaving for 12 months, she is going to try other work, something that doesn't require too much thinking.

I am really going to miss her. I told her that it was a good idea to try something different. Didn't want to show her how I was really feeling.

She told me I have 3 options. 1. See another counsellor from work. 2. See an outside counsellor. 3. See nobody.

She thinks I still need to see someone. I am counting out option 2, as I prefer a work counsellor because they know how my work place works and the people I work with.

Now I am not sure if I should just make a break and see nobody, as I cannot be seeing someone for the rest of my life, I have to be independant and stand on my own two feet. Also I have to nearly start again with another counsellor.

This counsellor I see at the moment has been very good, she is a similar age to me, great sense of humour, she tells me a lot about herself as well. I saw her the day after my daughter died, she was there for me when I was being hounded by the media, when my story was on the news, when horrible video clips were being made, when I was cyber bullied (some sick person posted 10 of thousands of nasty messages on my daughters website), she was there for me to tell her about attempts. Seems so much has gone on. She is not perfect and has her faults.

I am trying too be brave and not cry. I am going to give her a thank you card.

2. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Wow I am sorry she is leaving.
    It's good to be independent but there's nothing wrong in seeing someone else from work if you feel you weren't ready to end therapy.
    Anyway, be brave, but it's ok to cry too :hug:

3. Ah...I know what it's like when someone as special as that leaves, or the journey is over for a time. I think you've mentioned before that the "work scenario" suits you best. And if she, whom you trust, and has seen you through so much, suggests you continue - then why not do so? No need not feel "dependant" - just do it for yourself (even if it does mean going over previous issues - you might find comfort, if not suprprise, in seeing how far you've come! :smile:)

Another thing that helped me, as I've "graduated" from different resources that were very helpful to me, was to indeed express my gratitude (whether it was laughing and/or crying!), and to write a letter to those who've guided me along a very, very long & difficult road - so that they too had a "keepsake" (which many in the field DO deeply appreciate! :smile: One such letter actually went into their file - with my permission - and stands them in good stead with their superiors - present and future...We ALL need a pat on the back sometimes!)

4. middleofnowhere

middleofnowhere Well-Known Member

I was not at a point of standing on my own by any stretch, but had to wait a couple of months for the new guy, who has been really good. Only you know where you are with respect to therapy. Give it some thought. I believe you'll know what to do.

5. xXWhateverItTakesXx

xXWhateverItTakesXx Forum Buddy

I know how you feel. I was very upset when my counseller left, It took me quite a while to get over it. I saw someone else after though, and it really helped.

Good luck whatever you choose to do :)

6. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Years ago, my therapist died, and I was referred to another...the person who I was referred to, was as talented and wise, and has helped me create a much more enjoyable life...all of this to say, that sometimes change is a good things...best of luck and hope you continue to have a supportive relationship with your therapist...big hugs, J

7. downunder

I am going to give her a card and something else. I'm not sure what though. I would like to give her something she can keep but not really sure of what. I gave her a Christmas card which she thanked me for and said was a surprise.

8. downunder

My last session is next week. She is passing me on to someone else and that person is going to sit in on us half way through. Bit nerve racking. Not looking forward to it. I asked her who she was unleashing me on and did they draw the short straw. She said this person actually put their hand up.

I gave the counsellor a card and a present which she liked.

9. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I hope this new person works out for you. Your counselor would not have turned you over to her care if she didn't have the confidence in her that she would work for you. Best of luck. :hug:

10. Chernarus

Chernarus Well-Known Member

well it sounds like you got a great relationship with your therapist i say dump the therapists but thats me my therapist just lies her ass off and expects a good relationship between her and the patient. its a shame you had to leave a good one i have heard that good therapists actually help but are extreamlly rare