my counselor is calling my parents

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by david616, Apr 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. david616

david616 New Member

i go to college, and they want my parents to know that i indicated interest in killing myself with my dad's gun, since im going to home without any help this summer. this is something i am absolutley 100% opposed to, but they can legally do it with me or without me. i want to write an email to my parents and try to break it as easily as possible, any suggestions?

2. bobo

bobo Member

I am surprised the dr can disclose that if your over 18. There is a general policy I am told that if you are threatening to kill yourself or someone else they may have to contact family and/or authorities. But I only thought if you were really making serious statments.

But it may not be a bad idea to get your folks involved if you have an ok relationship with them. Maybe they will be supportive. I think I would email that I have been seeing a therapist for some general depression and that during some sessions I was depressed enough to think about ending my life. Suicide talk is pretty normal in therapy for depression so your folks may have the knowledge to approach you with respect. I hope it works out for you.

3. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

If you are a potential danger to yourself or others, this is reportable...I would tell your parents that you are having a difficult time and explain the situation...the most important part of all of this is that you receive the services you need to begin to feel better...sometimes when we are told that someone has to be informed about these things, we are angered...please remember, that these types of situations truly change the playing field...what if you made the report you did, and it was ignored, and you did hurt yourself...it is not just the liablity, but also the compassion to enlist ppl to help you...hope you are doing better and that your parents will be understanding...big hugs, J

4. david616

david616 New Member

thanks for responding. i'm mad because they're calling because they say i've been depressed for along time, even though right now i feel good. they're going to tell my parents to put me on medicine and get a therapist, but i'm completely done with this treatment forever. i thought what i said was confidential :mad:. i can make myself feel good and i wont have to worry about anything crazy my counselor's gonna do to me. thanks for responding and listening to me vent hahaha.

5. Broken Wings

Broken Wings Well-Known Member

Anytime you mention/threaten to hurt others they're obligated to call someone. Be it your normal doctor, your parents, or (sometimes) the police.

Don't be too upset about it, they're just trying to keep everyone safe. Even though they know you wont like it.

Good luck.

6. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

that really sucks. i also have huge trust issues. my psych has been writing updates to my family doctor, which i didn't realize when i opened up to him. now when i go and he asks how i am i just say 'fine' ... still, i also have a therapist who doesn't report on me to anyone. i'm able to open up to her.

is there room for compromise? like if you promise to seek out a therapist when you are home for the summer? just thinking out loud here...

c.

7. ~PinkElephants~

~PinkElephants~ Senior member

I don't know if they can do it legally but no offense I can't blame him/her. If you give direct indication that you are going to harm yourself with your father's gun I would call your father pronto. I don't think an email is the best option, why not talk to them via phone....I just think an email is a heartless way to do it. I think a parent would rather hear it word ofmouth that you aren't happy and are suicidal rather then read words on a screen.

8. Canti

Canti Guest

Ive been in situations like this. In the end i lied and said it was all a joke to see the effects on pweople, as if i was conducting an experiment. I used that exuse alot.. now noone belives me and ive started to belive my own lies. Went through a whole stage thinking i was gay, thinking this adn that being totally fucked up. Im supruised my friends put up with it to be honest.

I wouldnt recomend this.

9. ThoseEmptyWalls

ThoseEmptyWalls Well-Known Member

Im sorry to hear of your problem... Therapists are required to report any threat that they feel is a serious threat.. I have many a threat to my old therapist and luckily she never told anyone... I miss her :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.