My Dad killed himself

Discussion in 'Grief and Bereavement' started by Lizzie., Sep 28, 2010.

1. Lizzie.

Lizzie. Member

On Friday, my dad decided to kill himself.

He was a wonderful man and none of us didn't like him, in fact, everyone he knew loved him and thought of him as a second brother/dad/uncle/son. But it wasn't enough for him, he always thought he was letting other down, always thought that he could do better. Which was utter rubbish.

We didn't know this until my mum read the letter he wrote, and this was after she found him dead in his office. We had no idea it was coming, we never knew my dad to be depressed or unhappy. But obviously, inside he was.

It was very painful, and I am completely in disbelief still about it all.

2. black orchid

black orchid Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that Lizzie

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2010
  3. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry Lizzie for the loss of your Dad.....I hope you have someone to give you a hug and be there for you through all the grief .....we are here for you as well..
    grief is very tiring and an emotional roller coaster so look after yourself ..
    if you have any thoughts of hurting yourself please talk to your Mum or your doctor, a friend or school counselor or call a crisis line...
    I also lost a loved one to suicide so I understand your pain..
    take care..*hug*

4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I am so sorry for the your loss. i hope you have some support in place for you and for your family take care

5. shades

shades Staff Alumni

I am so very sorry for your loss. This happened to my best friend, whose father and sister both took their own lives within a two year period and then he did the same, last year (about 15 years after his sister).

So please...please get into therapy and beg your family to do the same.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way. But my friend's sister and he did not and there was obviously a genetic connection there and that may not be the case with your family. But often, when one family member takes their own life, others follow. When I told my therapist at the time, that my friends father and sister had taken their own lives, she told me to try my hardest to get my friend into therapy...I did everything I could, but he wouldn't listen...always telling me not to worry about it.

Again, I am terribly sorry. I hope you will continue to post here for awhile as others have experienced the same and may be able to help.

I hope your family is close and if not, try and make it so.

My thoughts are with you...please take care!

6. Lizzie.

Lizzie. Member

Thank you guys. Yes, I am seeking counseling, definitely. I have felt suicidal in the past week, but all that has disappeared when I realized how stupid my dad was and how much pain this is causing me and my family.

My family and I are very very close, and we were even closer with dad, but he didn't see that. And I am almost defiantly sticking around. This looks like a great site.

7. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

glad to hear you're getting help and not thinking of harming yourself....*hug*

8. SnowFallenAngel

SnowFallenAngel Well-Known Member

Dear Lizzie

I am so very sorry about your dad, you have my deepest sympathy.

Take care.

Love
    Snow
    xxxxx

9. useme

useme New Member

I am so so sorry to hear your loss. :(

10. dreams4life

dreams4life Well-Known Member

Liz. This must be very tough on you.. I am sorry to hear this. May you find comfort and peace in this time of need. There is emptiness in every heart. The vacuum has to be filled.

11. Deanna

Deanna Active Member

I'm sorry for your loss. He sounds like a good person, who did love you and your family a great deal.

12. fabian

fabian Member

Im so sorry to hear of your loss... My father did the same too, its especially harder when you had no idea of how much they were hurting...

Keep your chin up :) The pain dulls over time...

13. jlc20m

jlc20m Well-Known Member

I'm very sorry for your loss. jlc20m