my daughter in crisis

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by kittyD, Apr 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kittyD

kittyD Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Night before last, my 14 yr old finally broke down about how depressed she is, how shes thinking of suicide and so on.
    Yesterday I made an appt with the family doc, got her to talk to someone on a crisis line, and am awaiting a call today from a counselling agency. Today we'll go to the docs and hopefully get her on some meds temporarily at least.
    I feel guilty that I didn't see how rough she was feeling because i was too wrapped up in my own misery and depression . And how ironic is it to be telling someone else exactly what you need to hear yourself...
    I hate being depressed on a sunny day, with that grey cloud enveloping me and I can see others being happy or at least working at it, but the sun doesnt reach in to me. sigh.
    kD

2. ThoseEmptyWalls

ThoseEmptyWalls Well-Known Member

Im sure that you know all of this already but I wanted to add my two cents anyways.. Im glad that your daugther opened up and told you what was going on. I was diagnosed with a mental condition at the age of 13. The medication has made things a lot worse (only one medicated helped, let me be me, and didnt have horrible side effects and it stopped working) so please listen to your daughter if she complains about the medication. Sometimes (99.9% of the time for me) the medication causes side effects that are worse then the emotions and problems that come along with the mental illness. Be patient and be supportive and good luck to your daughter.

3. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Just finished posting in your other thread and then read this. I'm glad that you are able to help her hun. Too many parents would think it's just something she's going through and figure their child will outgrow. Thank you for acting on it even though you felt so crappy yourself. Now you have the ball rolling, keep it going and get some help for yourself too. Your daughter is going to need you to help her through this. Now you have each other and that's a start! Good luck Kitty and I'm still here if you need to chat or vent.

4. ~CazzaAngel~

~CazzaAngel~ Staff Alumni

I agree. I too, am here if you need anything hun. I'll keep you and your daughter in my thoughts and prayers. I hope your daughter finds the help she needs aswell as you. Take care. :hug:

5. magz74

magz74 Well-Known Member

i to have a 14 year old daughter who has recently been diagnosed with depression and self harm tendancies.we still yet await a appointment for assesment with a mental health unit..i totally understand you feelings as i to have been wrapped up in my own world of self harm,yet i know all the signs and didnt want to belive she has a mind exactly like mine . if you would like to chat more ...maggieharrison@hotmail.co.uk

6. kittyD

kittyD Well-Known Member

Well, we got Dev to her first appt with family doc, put her on meds, and have appt booked with their social worker about 10days from now. As much as her dad, my ex, cares, he really gets frustrated because he just doesn't understand, he's one of those iron willed guys whos simply gets up and does his day no matter what. So shes being jsut lying around, spending all night on msn with friends, i'm trying to look at that as a form of treatment, as long as shes talking about anything with people, I still have a chance.
    I don't know why I never realized that she was sufferring, both kids had been through my tumultuous life with me, but I'm not feeling guilty, just dealing with each days probs with her.
    kD

7. nedflanders

nedflanders Well-Known Member

Glad to hear you've hit the ground running. I'll probably be in a similar situation with my kids one of these days, so I'm particularly curious to hear about your experiences. Please let us know how things go with your daughter.

8. your daughter is braver than me !
    i've been suffering for five years now and have not had the guts to tell my parents anything about how low i feel.

im so worried theyl feel disappointed in me

9. kittyD

kittyD Well-Known Member

I can't tell you what your parents are like. But I do personally know that sharing helps ease the pain, and I would guess that your parents are aware of more than you think. I too have always felt that I was a disappointment to my parents and its taken becoming a parent of teens to realize that parents have high hopes and wish their kids to miss all the mistakes the parents made. But my life has taught me that in the end, parents just wish us to be happy and safe, and they'll come to terms with the rest. Maybe even writing a letter for them would help, then you both would have a bit of breathing space without shock making you say regrettable things. Again, just my .02 worth.
    kD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.