My Daughter

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by forlorn, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. forlorn

forlorn Staff Alumni

Hey, recently I posted about my daughter, who I found in the bathroom last week slitting her wrists. She had felt abandoned by me while I kept going off to see my now ex-g/f. There was a lot of things she was trying to deal with, for one her mum who abandoned her when she was 3. My daughter has been working hard for money for uni and still doing her college work, which she feels she has fallen behind in. Today I've had a great day and thought it up there with one of the best. My daughter rang me and asked if I'd made her counselling appointment, she needed help she said. Last night she started punching herself in the legs and this morning woke up with lots of bruises. I only found out late today. I've talked with her but she doesn't want me to fuss. Can anyone give me any advice? I've booked her and appointment and I keep reassuring her that everything will be ok. What's going on in her mind? Idk how to help if she doesn't let me get close. Please help!

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

It is hard because i am doing the same for my daughter but i am told i can't do anything for her she has to do it herself. I don't agree with that statement . what you are doing is the right thing. You are getting her to a professional that can hellp her with her sadness and pain Hopefully the therapist is a good one that does several techniques to get your daughter to start using better coping skills. Just be there for her let her talk you listen Knowing you are on her side is the best healing for her. She will have to do the work in therapy but knowing she has a safe place to go after therapy will help her immensly take care of you in all this too okay. You get some help for you so you don't get drained as i am we have to stay healthy in order to be supportive to them take care

3. forlorn

forlorn Staff Alumni

Great words of advice, thank you Violet :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2010
  4. cownes

cownes Well-Known Member

as a person, who hides all forms of self harming from my mom, i find the hardest part about opening up to my mom about my feelings, are that i will hurt her, that she wont be able to cope, that she will feel guilty or sometimes there is the fact of what will i achieve by my mom knowing ive cut?? also there is the shame factor, im not proud that i use it as my coping method, but it is my method at the end of they day. it is good that you are supporting her by getting her help, that is very importnat, you probebly wont find out how importnat it is, as i no i dont tell my mom, but it is, trust me, as long as she is willing to accept the help, but by the sounds of things she is, as she asked you to phone, one thing that annoyed me is i had no choice in therapy etc, it was jsut thrusted at me. this post has illostrated to me, how frustrated my mom may be feeling with me right now, so thanks for that, it will mean that i will sit down and talk to her about a few things :smile: so thanks for that, it can be hard to see the other persons side of the story sometimes, and it takes others to show us, take care, i hope thingd improve with your daughter soon :hug: keep us updated, and dont forget about you in all of this, you need support too and its importnat to get this!!

5. forlorn

forlorn Staff Alumni

Kind words and I'm glad I helped in some way :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.