My "doctor"

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Lorax, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Lorax

Lorax Well-Known Member

Saw my doctor, she refused me sleeping pills, bc i od'd 2.5 years back? (I've had them ever since)

TOLD ME! I was depressed, after saying i was manic. Started going on about me being suicidal, when i told her i'm not. (We all lie right?)

Then gave me a mood stabilizer after saying i didn't want it. And after a lengthy chat about my bad history with them leading to severe depression/suicidal feelings.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

The med she prescribed is a good one it has help me and others as she has stated

3. meaningless-vessel

meaningless-vessel Well-Known Member

TE - I think you missed the point slightly. Lorax's doctor wasn't willing to listen to them about their experiences and still prescribed the mood stabilizer anyway.

I think Lorax, if it is possible, that you would be well served by seeking a second opinion. That doesn't sound right for a doctor to ignore a patients requests...

4. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

First off, doctors that are legitimate don't just fill "requests." It sounds to me that even though you lied to the doctor, they were skilled enough to recognize that and they behaved both safely and professionally in your situation. Personally, I'd take their best advice and take what they prescribe and follow their recommendations. To note, while the "mood stabilizer" gave you feelings of suicide before, you are currently (by your own admission) having those feelings even without. Is the medication the SAME as you took before, or is it a different one? There are many, many different variations of each drug type, as well as different doses and combinations of drugs that interact with one another. If you note an increase of negative feelings, then certainly stop and contact them or crisis immediately. I'm not implying to do what the doctor says blindly, but note too that only by being honest with them can they really provide the best treatment possible.

I don't want my reply here to sound uncaring, because it is not. Doctors often can tell things that they aren't told about upfront and their ongoing education and experience in these matters often comes into play when they are making decisions. If you go back and lay everything in the open, you may receive a better evaluation and then a treatment best suited to wellness.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2013
  5. Lorax

Lorax Well-Known Member

I agree, it was wrong to ignore me being stuck in a manic phase, and tell me i'm depressed.

She's usually a good one, but she just screwed up this round. I have bad luck with meds, they hit reverse. Think it's either luck, or may be brain chem.

6. Lorax

Lorax Well-Known Member

I really wasn't "requesting" anything. I was telling her i can't sleep/am manic.

I am suicidal, but mainly situational. In my experience, if it's not clinical (medical) medicine doesn't help.

This one is new, i tried Prozac, Zyprexa, Abilify, Effexor, Trazadone, Celexa, in combos, diferent doses, and usually end up in the hospital.

She treated it for depression, and said should i feel worse, she will throw Lithium at me to counter it. (Pills for pills for pills ehh?)

You don't sound uncaring at all! You just want to offer advice on my best treatment. It's just that i react poorly to meds other than short term relief. (Generally)

I've had issues with insomnia on Zolpidem, panic on Alprazolam, and sedation on Aderal.

Have you, or any one else. Had experience having reverse effects on meds? I think they said autism spectrum can have this effect.

7. Lorax

Lorax Well-Known Member

Update on med:
    I decided to try last nite. Mainly for the sedation effect. Felt depressed for a bit, then started hallucinating.

Then i had a really bad panic attack, before falling asleep. All of which are possible side-effects.

Not sure if this means never try again, or deal with it till you tolerate. I mainly need sleep help lately. Can't use Trazadone, they won't prescribe it for "reasons"

Any thoughts?

8. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

Lorax, I personally am not a fan of medications... though I know that they are beneficial and even essential to some people. While medications are important too, I do know that the system tends to push them as the "cure all" sometimes. At any rate, I hope you find the solution to the issues that are causing you distress. :(

9. Lorax

Lorax Well-Known Member

Yea, some times meds can turn people around. And of course i'm not trying to discourage anyone from it, if they are helped.

The system does seem to love pushing pills. Especially anti-depresants. Even for anxiety?

Hopefully they will someday