My dog

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Malcontent, Jul 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Malcontent

Malcontent Staff Alumni

I had to have my dog Bess put down this morning. She was 11 and had arthritis and was going senile. The last couple of days she hasn't been able to walk and there was nothing the vets could do. I stayed with her while they put her down. It's so weird not having her around, like a big part of my life has gone. She was like my constant companion through all the worst parts of my life. But I know it was the right thing to do, she wasn't enjoying her life anymore. :sad:

2. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

Aww Mal, how awful for you! :hug: I remember when I had to put my dog down (he was nearly 18yrs old) and it was the hardest thing I've ever had to do even though I knew I had to do it. But as my vet said it is the hard part of responsible pet ownership.

3. thedeafmusician

thedeafmusician Staff Alumni

I'm sorry to hear about Bess, Mal. It must be hard - I certainly can't imagine how I'd be if I had to put either of my dogs down. :hug:

TDM

4. nagisa

nagisa Chat & Forum Buddy Staff Alumni

The loss of a pet can be very hard to deal with. They are members of the family, after all. I'm here if you ever want to talk. :hug:

5. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

:sad: :hug:

Even now (and its been over 3 years) I look for my old dog, she was 19 when I finally gave in and had her put to sleep..right decision but it still is a sad day.

6. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I am sorry to hear about Bess, Mal. Losing a member of the family (yes a pet) is extremely difficult. They are full of unconditional love and sometimes are the only ones that can comfort you. You did the right thing. Her quality of life was no longer there. :hug:

7. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear about your dog, Mal. :( :hug:

8. kittyD

kittyD Well-Known Member

Hugs, it is so hard to do. But I have tried to think of it as an honor to our love of our pets.
    kD

9. Spikey

Spikey Senior Member

Aww honey :hug: :hug: it was the right and kindest thing you could do :hug:

10. Marshmallow

Marshmallow Staff Alumni

sending you loads of hugs Mally :hug:

11. I'm so sorry for you loss, Mal. :sad:

"What's best" doesn't always feel good, but it is 'right'...

I was there when my 17 year old soul-mate-cat was put down too - she was also in rough shape. Even the staff cried with me. Things will never be the same but we've all got a million and a half wonderful memories of the unique bond we have with such awesome creatures...who give and teach so much.

:hug:

12. danni

danni Chat Buddy

I'm sorry for your lost mal :hug:
    I know what it is like losing a dog that you love and care for so much :hug:

13. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

Oh Mal I'm so sorry that it hurts so much to do the right thing for Bess. I understand completely the hurt, but I also understand the unselfishness you showed by giving her a peaceful death when her life no longer had meaning or purpose. It is the hardest part of being responsible for another life. But please keep uppermost in your mind the wonderful life you gave her. That's what counts. That she knew only love and good care.

I'm so sorry for your loss.:sad:

:hug:

14. ToddMAdl

ToddMAdl Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry for your loss, it must be heartwrenching. I have three dogs whom I love. It does make me very sad to think of them dying one day. My oldest dog she is a brittany and 11 years old. She's still pretty spry and still herself for the most part but I cry at the thought of her since she'll probably be the first, she's my favorite and I don't want to lose her. My sister's puppy died at the age of 3 months due to kidney failure, it was so difficult, the pain was unbearable. It kind of makes me hate the world even more, makes me think life is so unfair. I love my dogs so much. I'll even admit on here I love them more than my dad and my siblings. I dread the day of having to potentially put them down and they become nothing but photographs. I'm not sure if anything could be worse.

15. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Mal I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Any pet leaves a piece of it's very being in our hearts. And although it was a difficult thing to do it was the right thing. Now you need to hold on to all the wonderful memories you made together and use those to help you through the tough time you find yourself in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.