My ex- said "Seven Times" a few days ago

Discussion in 'After Effects' started by Sylvester, Feb 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sylvester

Sylvester Member

I can't even remember some of them. I think about 4 were serious - all but one pills. Or pills washed down with alcohol, to give it a kick.
    I would like to say that I have not had a real suicide attempt since 2004, I think it was - in a jail (gaol for Brits) in Georgia someplace. I had to cut myself. Let us say, I was dying from embarrassment. It was a misdemeanor.

The after-effects take a long time to figure out. Some must persist. I have no physical effects, maybe psychiatric.
    The best thing was exploring it over the years 2001-present with my psychiatrist, who has been incredibly patient with me.

I learn techniques for short-circuiting attempts, which can cluster, once you get on a roll. The smartest thing I learned (a few have disputed me) is this: If I honestly get that sad, and it is usually at night, I go to a (psych) emergency room if possible, and tell them I intend to hurt myself.
    In New York, it is easy. You are taken seriously, treated with respect and swiftness - and observed. It may not be the Waldorf-Astoria, but you are safe. And there is time to think.

2. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

hey sylvester, i learned the same thing from my doc. if it's an emergency, if i've tried the suicide helpline and worked my way through my long list of distractions, and if see myself getting worse i always know i can head for the hospital. i'm in ireland and the mental health services are pretty good. tough.... but good. they will care for you until you turn back to life.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.