My eyesight

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Abacus21, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

My eyesight is the current (yes, they do change!) bane of my existence.
    In my right eye, I've got 6/12 sight, which is roughly 67ft, give or take 2 ft or so (unfortunately, the wrong side of 67ft :dry: ), and I'm borderline for driving with that. In my left, all I see is a few blurs, shapes and colours - nothing discernable at all - I would say I'm technically blind in that eye, I suppose. I've been like this from birth, so I've grown up with it, and know no different.

Although I've currently finished the first year of a three (possibly four) year degree, I'm just putting my feelers out there in terms of possible careers for when I finally graduate (fingers crossed :tongue: ). I've e-mailed various companies / organisations asking about the guidelines for visual acuity for jobs that I like the sound of.

So, to date I've e-mailed:
    • Network Rail
      Queried about signaller - eyesight rules me out
    • Transport for London
      Signaller - I presume the same as NR, as it's a safety critical job
    • BAA (British Airports Association)
      No reply as of yet
    • London Ambulance Service
      No restrictions on eyesight in Control Room staff, which I asked about - downside = pay very poor
    • My local fire service
      No restrictions on eyesight for Control Room staff, which I asked about - no idea about pay, but I'd imagine not the best in the world

So, I basically, am getting a bit pissed off with it all.
    As my doting mother :)rolleyes:) says, I may be aiming 'too low', and can easily get a better job with the degree that I'll get (fingers crossed!), but I think I'd do a job, because of the satisfaction it gives me, not because of the money.. Just enough to live on comfortably is all I want.

I know it's two or three years away, all that job-lark, but even still...
  2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Not sure what to say here :dunno: but keep trying Joe,you're ''brainy' as I call it :tongue: You'll find a way :arms:
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2009
  3. pandamonium

pandamonium Well-Known Member

Hey Joe,

Sorry to hear bout your eyesight. Mine has been deteriorating consistently for a few years now but not as bad as yours. Sucks so bad. Anyway good luck finding a job that wants you and makes you happy.
  4. helena

helena Staff Alumni

I think you are right on the way you think about being happy with your job.
    Mine doesn't pay much too, but i feel reewarded, appreciated, we have a lot of fun all together, etc.
    But I understand your mum too; she knows your qualities and is probably concerned about wasted possiblilities....
    I hope your sight problems don't limit much your choices, and sure you get that degree, no crossing fingers needed there :wink: :)
  5. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

6. sarahg

sarahg Well-Known Member

3 things Joe...
    1 im with ur doting mum (arent they the best) on aiming higher as u have worked hard and deserve it and that will give u satisfaction
    2 dont drive...u get so much gossip on the bus :) especially pension day
    3 love to u and Sam :)
  7. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

And that's why I love you, Sarah :laugh: