My family is just getting bigger all the time....

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by meaningless-vessel, Sep 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meaningless-vessel

meaningless-vessel Well-Known Member

Quick little background.. My dad was 1 of 9, my mum 1 of 6...

They had 4 (me being 1).

Now with 12 kids between the 4 of us children.. we wondered when the next tier would start....

It's now finally happened - as at 3.50am on Sept 2nd... My eldest niece had her first kid....

Been a relatively young "initial parent" mode for most of us - I think my brother Simon was the oldest to first become a bio parent (til his adopted stepson that he calls son came into the frame) - at 10 weeks before his 22nd birthday. (oldest brother was 19 and 4 weeks, sister was 20 and 10 months, I was 20 and 2 months).

Now at the tender age of 17 and 9 months - my niece has started that next tier.

Here's a quick summary...

My dad/mum - great-grandparents before they are 60.
    My oldest brother/his wife - grandparents before they are 40
    Me and my sister - great-uncle/great aunt before we are 30.

And my niece was born in the chinese year of the "rat" (12 years after me) - so I should have expected the early birth as my son was 3.39am... I said she was going to have a girl (as I'm male/had a son/also a "rat" in chinese years) - got it right. So had I guessed at a time, I'd have suggested between 2-5am.

But yeah - I'm a great-uncle now.....

And that's without thinking about my niece turning 18 and me 30 both in december this year.. crikey... lol
  2. texaskitty

texaskitty SF Friend and Antiquities Friend Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

I envy you your family. Cherish them!
  3. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Big families can be a blessing - with so many cousins/nieces/nephews/aunts/uncles bound to be some that everybody can bond to some. I think that part of the decline in family unity as a rule came from the decline in family size - it is easy to become alienated from family if total family size under 10 including the extended family.

My oldest daughter is 22, and moved in last winter with long term boyfriend that is 25 and and has two young children from previous marriage so a pre-made family when they moved in together. At 46 is not really strange to me to have "grand children" (3 yo and 5 yo) but my youngest son thought it was really cool when he was 9 and a 5 year old called him "Uncle D " :rofl:

Enjoy your family whatever their ages now or when they entered the scene - - and congratulations :)
  4. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

My uncle became a grandfather when he was about 36, I seems like half my family has kids very young, and half have kids when older (my grandma didn't have her first child until she was 36, and I probably won't until 30's at earliest). There were 12 kids in my grandma's family, so I have many cousins, and I know that there are some I haven't met yet. Congrats on becoming a great uncle :D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.