My friend killed himself

Discussion in 'Grief and Bereavement' started by Coliboo, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Coliboo

Coliboo Member

I lost a close friend a few weeks ago. He killed himself (whether deliberately or whether he took actions which would result in his death is not clear and probably never will be). I worked with him and a few years go we were even closer. I thought I'd got over him but his death has brought back so many awful sad feelings.

Today is the first day I have even been able to look after my family properly - makes it worse that I have lost a lot of friends and both my mum and dad are dead, one recently and one when I was small.

It's hard to struggle on and I have been close to the edge a few times - only the Samaritans and a couple of female friends have stopped me stepping into oblivion and I still wish I had done as this pain is so hard to bear.

2. wallflower

wallflower Well-Known Member

I've never lost a friend to suicide. Awhile ago a boy I went to college with jumped of the bridge in our town. It struck me deeply.I can't imagine your pain. And I hope you feel better. Lots of Love,
  3. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I am sorry for your loss :hug:
  4. Sa Palomera

Sa Palomera Well-Known Member

Boo :hug:

Firstly I'd like to say that I'm sorry to hear about your friend as well as your parents and about losing other friends :sad: It's tough :hug:

It happens sometimes that we think we are over a beloved person's death, but than we get it thrown in our faces again for some reason or another.
    I myself have lost my best friend to suicide a few years ago and my mother died when I was very young, so I think I can relate to your feelings :sad:
    It is hard, and there will probably always be times that we struggle with it, sometimes it's more of a struggle than other times, but it definitely is a struggle :sad: :hug:

Thankfully your friends kept you out of oblivion, though I understand often you wish you hadn't. Been there myself. Still do at times actually. What helps me is try to think of how my friend would've wanted me to live life to the fullest, to try and be happy. Perhaps this can work for you too? After all I don't think your friend, nor your parents would want you to give up and give in.

If you'd ever like to have a chat in private, which I definitely would like to have with you sometime, please don't hesitate to email me or add me on MSN (information is in my profile). We seem to have some things in common.

Hang in there, Coliboo :hug: :hug:
  5. Anime-Zodiac

Anime-Zodiac Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your loss. No matter what, don't give up. Some days are harder than others but I'm sure your friends and loved ones wouldn't ever want you to stop and give up.