My friend thinks he’s depressed

So today a good friend of mine came to me in private, he said he trust me allot and he had a question: “what are the symptoms of depression?” I was shocked and terrified, I couldn’t believe such a vibrant happy and jolly guy would come to me about depression. I didn’t know what to say and just told him that I didn’t know, but that if he felt like he was depressed he should reach out to a professional. We talked for a bit and he told me that when he thinks about live and the future he thinks about suicide, even though he’s terrified of dying. I feel horrible because of this, I do t know what to say or do, I hate seeing him like this he’s about to co pletly give up, I told him about this website, but he’s to shy and afraid of other people to go on this. Does anybody have advice? I really want to help, but don’t know how. Please.

Mixer

Music can mean anything, what does it mean to you?
So today a good friend of mine came to me in private, he said he trust me allot and he had a question: “what are the symptoms of depression?” I was shocked and terrified, I couldn’t believe such a vibrant happy and jolly guy would come to me about depression. I didn’t know what to say and just told him that I didn’t know, but that if he felt like he was depressed he should reach out to a professional. We talked for a bit and he told me that when he thinks about live and the future he thinks about suicide, even though he’s terrified of dying. I feel horrible because of this, I do t know what to say or do, I hate seeing him like this he’s about to co pletly give up, I told him about this website, but he’s to shy and afraid of other people to go on this. Does anybody have advice? I really want to help, but don’t know how. Please.
First of all from first hand experience I get how distressing this can be, wanting to help someone and not knowing how to, it's difficult but heh SF is full of amazing people willing to help each other :3

My advice to you if you want to help then really you're already doing that, in times like this just having someone to talk to is worth a lot and from this slowly but surely he can build up ways to help cope with these feelings, seeing a professional would be the best course of action in my opinion as they can give advice from a medical standpoint and they are trained.

However in this distressing time be sure to take care of yourself as well, I made the mistake of focusing too much on others and well it's not pretty .-.

So to shorten it down, do what you can, be there for him just be sure not to push yourself too far.

This may not be the best advice however from my experience at least it's piece by piece and hey the people here are with you each step of the way if you need someone to talk to more indepth about this as well.

I hope things get better for you *hug

- Mixer

Sorry that you and he are going through this

Does he know why he feels suicidal? Sometimes problems with a family relationship, problems with classmates, etc., are the source of the depression, and there's a way to overcome those problems.

Some form of treatment method might help him. The links in my signature have some information on treatment methods for depression.

Grok

Be Stubborn. Live.
SF Supporter
Listening to him can help the burden a lot.

Encouraging him to see a medical professional is important if possible, and not judging them when they do so.

I wish you both luck :)

So I saw my friend yesterday, he said he was a little down and he was feeling better, but I don’t see him everyday, so I really dont know how he is at school, apperiatly he’s bullied really bad, so I don’t know how she be doing.

Petal

~*Mod Extraordinaire*~
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
he’s bullied really bad
Change schools. Report the bullies. That what he should do but he probably thinks it will make everything worse because he's younger. Please keep him talking but you are not responsible for anything he does, Do you think bringing an adult into the situation will help or hinder the situation?

Just be there to support him and be a good friend - which you obviously are. My heart goes out to him and thoughts are with you.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00