My girlfriend used to be abused

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by datto, Nov 27, 2009.

1. datto

datto Member

My girlfriend and I have been together for 5 years, she lived in an abusive household until she got thrown out. I live at home, and now she lives with me, my family is so much different from hers, if some minor thing happens, it's no big deal, but she reacts like she's still living in her old environment....

She has been living with me and my family for about 3 years now, but the mentality still remains.... I could never do anything to hurt her, but I am afraid people will think I am abusive towards her, because sometimes in public places she will react as such.

She used to see a counsellor, but it's made little difference, now she takes tablets to help with panic attacks. My question is, will this get better with my support? Because, it's getting very difficult for me now, and very little has changed...

2. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

She needs lots of time, support, reassurance, and above all the chance to trust again. Not so much in those around her, like you and your family but in herself again. Being abused is Hell. And believe it or not the physical abuse is the least of the problem. It is what it does to your mind and your self worth. Sometimes that can never be recovered. But she will start to change once she trusts that she is safe physically and above all else can trust that she can be herself again. Please encourage her to get some professional help. And get her to attend a support group for abused people. You may even suggest going with her so that you can support her and you'll see first hand what types of resources are available that both of you can work at to help her be her again. Good luck.