My grandma died, can anyone advise?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by TheWr0ngChild, Jun 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheWr0ngChild

TheWr0ngChild Well-Known Member

Sadly my grandma passed away about a week ago. My mum & stepdad have been down there (near great Yarmouth) to attend to all the legal stuff. It's looking very much like me and my sister are in line to receive her estate, which is her house & other stuff. However I am on Incapacity benefit and DLA for my aspergers Syndrome, and I'm trying to find out if I need to go about getting someone else to 'take charge' of any money, possibly my boyfriend who I live with, so it does not leave me with no benefits having to live off grandma's money. If I do get a large sum of cash, we intend to invest it.

The other problem is my mum has missed me out of any of the procedings and only involved my sister, the excuse being she 'still has ties with home'. That means she returns home for the weekend from uni sometimes. She has had to send a copy of some ID stuff to the soliciter who is dealing with my grandma's estate, I have been asked for NOTHING.

I don't know why I have been given such little information and my sister, who ignores every attempt at communication by me with her, has been involved more in the process. I know the soliciter only needed one of us to prove our ID, but why her? She never answers emails and is doing a very demanding full time nursing course with end of term exams coming up, I'm always available.

I'm starting to think there's something going on nobody wants me to know about, what legal rights do I have to find the information myself if I have to? As a blood relative of grandma, and the probable heir to her estate, how come I have been kept in the dark?

Is this right for my mum only to involve my sister & tell me what she wants to tell me?

Also if anyone knows anything about incapacity & DLA being effected by inheritance, please let me know! From what I have read, they are not means tested therefor not effected by any unearned savings. I don't know.

2. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Hire an attorney to take care of all of this...make sure this is someone known to you or your family and have someone read each agreement with you before you sign it...sorry about your loss...big hugs, J

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.